Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metalastic bush - bolt seized
zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Metalastic bush - bolt seized

Any suggestions for getting it out ?

Got the nut off ok.
Can twist the bolt and it will show signs of moving slightly within the inner tube, but not enough to allow it to pull clear.

Can't get in to the end to hammer it out.
Cant really get in to pull it out.

other than burning the rubber part out (which still leaves the inner steel tube seized to the bolt), any suggestions ?

It's currently soaking in gallons of WD40 with a breaker bar holding it under rotation to encourage it to break free.

skinned knuckles

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
before the health and safety people jump all over this reply, i know its dodgy, but it works really well.

i have an old knackered angle grinder (small size) that i made a small steel disc for. i purposely unbalanced the disc with heavy blobs of weld so that when its turned on, it vibrates more than the best toys in the amsterdam museum of fornication.

whenever i come across a really stubbun nut, i clamp the grinder to my wrench, near the nut end, turn it on and appy pressure and bingo, job done

if you can get the vibrations going somehow it could help remove the little bugger? especially if its being soaked in slippy stuff.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by skinned knuckles]

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

tomprescott

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Could you use something as a drift to then hammer it out?

If you do burn out the rubber you may find that heating the inner tube will cause it to expand just enough to tap it out from a vice?

A bird in the hand....

Seven_Monkey

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is it threaded all the way down the bolt? I had one similar - just unscrewed from the bush... It must've caught something inside the bush to help ease it out thread by thread?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Use proper penetrating oil, not WD Squirty
Heat it up anyway, if you have the means, that will help
Impact wrench (safer version of the angry grinder trick )

zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that the rubber bit just seems to bounce away all of the impact that you can put into it.

will try again, see if I can get into it with the impact now that the axle and everything else is now out of the way.

****ETA****

Nope, nothing doing.

Impact driver turned up to 11 and it's firing away like a machine gun.
All the impact just gets soaked up by the rubber.

Might need to try welding a bolt onto it in order that I can try pulling it out.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by zilspeed]

big_wasa

posted on 9/4/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had luck just spinning the bolt with an impact wrench until it grinds the rust down.
MikeRJ

posted on 9/4/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Air hacksaw. I bought one for exactly this situation.
zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Air hacksaw. I bought one for exactly this situation.

Now, that would work.

I know I can borrow a reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade.

tegwin

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
All of the bushes on my TVR were rusted solid..... you cant get to them to smack the bolt with a drift either...

So.. hacksaw blade, either side of the crush tube... one stroke at a time.... took a weekend to get them out :s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

hillbillyracer

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Might need to try welding a bolt onto it in order that I can try pulling it out.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by zilspeed]

As an Agric engineer I get stuff like this all the time, we often use the method of welding a fine thread bolt/threaded bar to the head of the seized bolt, slipping a tube over it that just clears the head of the bolt so it's pushing against the surrounding metal & wind a nut down the welded on part to draw it out, is that what you were thinking?
If you can sacrifice the crush tube though & have access I'd go for cutting it out.

perksy

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Plusgas

Its WD40 on Steroids

austin man

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Place a deep socket over the top of the bole aplly a G clamp over the socet and end of the bolt tighten the clamp and press the bolt out. Only works if you gan get access. Applying oil and heat will also help to do it.

You could also cut the bolt head and drift it out from the opposite side if you have room

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

zilspeed

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies folks.

The plan for this morning is to try to press it out using a big socket and a G clamp as decribed above.

If that doesn't work, I ahve arranged a loan of a reciprocating saw and we'll cut the phuqer out

zilspeed

posted on 10/4/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
The G clamp bent.

Will be cutting it out tomorrow when a recip. saw is available.

Then I get to practice drilling bolt remains out.

RickRick

posted on 12/4/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same problem on my fiesta but i didn't mind distroying the bottom of the damper as that was u/s anyway so i split open the "eye" end of the damper to get that out the way chopped up the rubber then drilled and split the crush tube no drilling out required that way

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.