Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Make sure you are reliable for Stoneleigh
Davegtst

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you are reliable for Stoneleigh

Just incase you didn't know about this, you may be left stranded somewhere. Hopefully it won't come to a strike but don't believe the bit about a good number will work and nobody will be left stranded at the roadside, it's bull.

AA Strike

[Edited on 16/4/10 by Davegtst]

Rek

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just changed from green flag to the AA last weekend.....
r1_pete

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Its happening all over, my company has just screwed us over, closing the final salary pension scheme and forcing us in to money purchase cons!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skinned knuckles

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
very foolish move by AA staff. there is too much competition out there, i am due to renew with the AA next month but that wont be happening now. i think i will not be alone

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Davegtst

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you knew exactly what has happened within the company over the last few years and what they are doing now you wouldn't be saying that. A strike is the last resort and the majority of staff don't want to but will if they have to. This can easily be stopped.
Lars

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
tbh final salary schemes cost companies an arm and a leg (if they had it). They are very rare now in private companies.
Really mostly available in the public sector, and I would not be surprised if they disappeared soon there.

r1_pete

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lars
tbh final salary schemes cost companies an arm and a leg (if they had it). They are very rare now in private companies.
Really mostly available in the public sector, and I would not be surprised if they disappeared soon there.

Yes but when you sign a contract of employment which includes a final salary pension, then the company close it, it is a change is T&C / Contract which you the employee has no choice but to accept.

It is wrong, I took a lower paid job, back in the 1980's IT boom, because the company offered final salary pension. Have caught up salary wise, and been outsourced under TUPE.

I work for a cash rich company, and closing the FSP, is just another way of increasing the shareholder dividend. They could well afford to keep the system going for existing members, but, the bandwagon on closing FSP's is well established and rolling, so they can jump on and not be noticed.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skinned knuckles

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
If you knew exactly what has happened within the company over the last few years and what they are doing now you wouldn't be saying that. A strike is the last resort and the majority of staff don't want to but will if they have to. This can easily be stopped.

i am not saying i dont sympathise with the staff, but strike action rerely does anyone any good. these are hard times for loads of people and in terms of continued job security this is a terriblr move. when someone is looking for a breakdown recovery service they pick one the they know will be on hand if things go wrong.

if the AA dont back down on the pension scheme , will this be the only strike? i think not. The timing is dispicable, using one of the busiest weekends of the year on the roads, causing potential misery to anyone who breaks down and to anyone who is unfortunate enough to be stuck behind them. if the majority of staff don't want it, then how was the vote to strike passed?

it had been timed to cause the biggest impact to the customers, who are the ones who's hard earned cash funds the entire organisation and pays their wages.

the AA management team arent trying to p155 off every member of staff for the fun of it.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Lars

posted on 16/4/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by Lars

Yes but when you sign a contract of employment which includes a final salary pension, then the company close it, it is a change is T&C / Contract which you the employee has no choice but to accept.

It is wrong, I took a lower paid job, back in the 1980's IT boom, because the company offered final salary pension. Have caught up salary wise, and been outsourced under TUPE.

I work for a cash rich company, and closing the FSP, is just another way of increasing the shareholder dividend. They could well afford to keep the system going for existing members, but, the bandwagon on closing FSP's is well established and rolling, so they can jump on and not be noticed.....

Pete, Sorry, I did not mean to imply that just closing them is right.
Just stating the facts of why they are closing, which is probably obvious anyway.

I wish I had a FSP.

r1_pete

posted on 16/4/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think we are agreeing Lars.

I'd support anyone who is fighting for their pension rights, it is vitally important.

chris_harris_

posted on 16/4/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
It is true that some people within the public sectior,ie NHS have final year salary pensions, but a few years ago all new staff did not get this option and its worked out some other way,meaning far less pension.

wholly agree that people should fight for their pension rights,and indeed plan alternatives as well. its not far away that we won't get styate pensions either, and i can certainly see poverty amongst pensionsers increasing dramatically in our lifetime!

The problem with strike action is it really damages the reputation of the company, and whilst i understand that this is partly the aim, it can be hugely detrimental to the employees, as lost profits inevitably means lost jobs.

Good luck to the AA staff but i do not see this helping really.

just my opinion of course.

Regards Chris

Davegtst

posted on 16/4/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I agree it does not help but i do believe it's the last resort. As i said hopefully it won't come to it but i have a feeling it has gone too far already.
Davegtst

posted on 23/4/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Strikes off, for now. Not that i care too much now i quit my job yesterday woohoo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.