Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Identifying original source of a type 9 gearbox.
David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Identifying original source of a type 9 gearbox.

I have a nice type 9 in my garage. It's a very late model according to a few magazine articles I've read, as it has a space for an electronic speedo sender instead of a speedo cable This model was made a very short while before the type 9 was phased out, and was used on top-of-the-range Ford models.

I'd like to get hold of a sender to fit onto it, but there's no chance unless I can identify a Ford that would have used it.

Anyone got any ideas?

snapper

posted on 22/4/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Granada and Sierra Saphire

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

smac

posted on 22/4/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been told before that the sender is the same across any ford with an electronic speedo which includes a lot of the FWD ones. Never checked though.
MakeEverything

posted on 22/4/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smac
Ive been told before that the sender is the same across any ford with an electronic speedo which includes a lot of the FWD ones. Never checked though.

No, some type 9 boxes have a mechanical speedo drive. mine did.

ETA: Sorry misread the quetion. The electronic drives will depend on the gauge. Some read four pulses per revolution, and others more.

[Edited on 22-4-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 22/4/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't check my T9 box, but purchased an electronic speed sensor from Burton Power to attach to my gearbox and DD" lite digisash. I purchased after reading numerous threads about magnets coming loose from props, and assumed that is just fitted nicely in. Was I stupid and hasty with my purchase? And has anyone got pics of the Burton unit in place on the 'box?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smac

Interesting... but it looks like the worm gear on the output shaft is just the same as on a "mechanical speedo" - they've just taken away the hole where the cable used to go out, and put a huge hole for the electronic sender on the other side. I imagine that the sender has a drive gear that connects to the worm.

As for the number of pulses - I don't care! I'd just change the settings on the speedo.

If anyone's wondering, this gearbox may become a long-term project to include putting a new gear-set with a long first gear in, replacing the existing home-made electronic sender with a proper one, replace all the seals and gaskets, and so on. My existing box is working but tired, so I would do the work over a period of months and fit it over next winter - but there's no point if I can't get a sender.

Dusty

posted on 22/4/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
My box is ex granada 2.3 and has the hall effect sender fitted. Works fine with VDO speedo.
In the past I used a standard sierra box and speedo cable and stuck a mondeo electronic sender on the speedo end of the cable. Wired this up to the VDO speedo and worked fine. Picked the mondy sender up for free in the breakers.

AdrianH

posted on 22/4/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
David, I am not sure if you could provide me with some help, could you post me a few pictures of the unit.

Reason I ask is on some of the later 1.6 and 1.8 CVH probably around 92/93 vintage, some had a Central fuel injection system.

I am trying to source the vehicle speed sensor, and discover where it was fitted. I was told the cars still had a mechanical cable for the speedo but I am beginning to wonder. The Haynes manual does show a picture in the supplements section but I can not understand the picture!

Some say the VSS was on the other end of the mechanical sendor unit replacing the blank plug, in which case it would probably have a gear wheel on the end?

I have been searching on the web for pictures and information, the best I have found up to now on the various type 9 was this link.

http://www.the-wizardsden.com/mg_home/9Ngearbox.htm

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Here's an extract from an article I copied a few years back...

Gearbox article
Gearbox article

The big image shows the side of the gearbox tailshaft - the distinguishing features are the lack of a hole for the speedo cable, and the lug with 2 holes at the bottom (this was for an anti-vibration damper). The little picture at the bottom-left shows the speedo sender.

Apologies for the poor quality - it's a scan of a photocopy!

AdrianH

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
David thank you for that. It is basically confirming that it is an either or choice of sender, either mechanical or electronic.

If you ever manage to determine how many pulses per revolution the original units gives that would be fantastic. I could then find an alternative unit to drive my injection system.

Cheers

Adrian

[Edited on 22-4-10 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.