Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Retest Today
alister667

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Retest Today

Folks,
Just to let you all know my SVA retest is up today (Wednesday 12th May) - I'll let you all know how I get on - it's at 3pm.
I *think* I have all the problems sorted - but I have to spend the morning at a local garage with an emissions unit to be sure I have the emmisions under control.
Fingers crossed.
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hope all goes well Ali...

My fingers are crossed already!

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 12/5/04 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Good Luck
SeaBass

posted on 12/5/04 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
It'll be a pass this time, the station will be making their £30! Good luck....

Cheers

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/5/04 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Good Luck for today.

Dont let the Bas$ards grind you down

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

alister667

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
GODDAMMIT!!!! I know it's before 3pm, but I spent this morning in a garage with an emmisions tester, and I can't get the Lambda below 1.6. I know she'll now fail.
HC are around 400 but the CO is well below limits.
This is after un-re-jetting the carbs, and putting the original air filter on her. I thought this would make the difference.
AAARRRGGHHHHHH!!!
More info later.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 12/5/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Did you have the measuring probe far enough up the exhaust? Pulsations can cause fresh air (hence oxygen --> high lambda reading) to flow up the exhaust. This is often the case on free flowing exhausts.

Lambda 1.6 would definitaly cause the engine to misfire at idle, so is suspect something else is going on.

Also, is your exhaust leakfree?

alister667

posted on 12/5/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm a little bit calmer now (!) but yes the car did indeed fail for emmissions. My dad (a bit of an engine guru) reckons she is running lumpy at tick over, and wants to have a bit of a look around her. He's been dying to dissassemble it for ages - I won't stop him now
I'm pretty sure something more than the set-up of the cat is at fault. Odd, cause she still goes like stink round Kirkistown!
Oddly she also failed for the seatbelts being too high to allow the lap belt to rest on the pelvis.
This is very odd, as I'm using the standard MK mounting points and Cobra roadster 7s bolted directly onto the floor very close to the rear bulkhead. In my first test I used Sabelt 3" racing belts and he failed these, but for this test I used standard Willans 2" road going harnesses, but he still failed these.
For the other NI MK builders, Crazy Jay and David Cromie, it is a point the SVA gimp at Newtownards is big on. I pointed out that this set up had been passed many times in England, only to get the reply that the SVA in England is poorly tested!!!
What I'll have to do is refit the Sabelt harnesses and fit a crotch strap to pull the release down further.
What a crappy day!

alister667

posted on 12/5/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
strange request but are you sure plug leads are right ? ie 1 coil running 1&4 and other coil running 2&3 ? just a thought with the reading you have posted

Yep I'm pretty sure the plug leads are on OK (she's not missing a cylinder or anything) but I'll double check tomorrow.
Thanks for the help,
Ali

alister667

posted on 12/5/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Did you have the measuring probe far enough up the exhaust? Pulsations can cause fresh air (hence oxygen --> high lambda reading) to flow up the exhaust. This is often the case on free flowing exhausts.

Lambda 1.6 would definitaly cause the engine to misfire at idle, so is suspect something else is going on.

Also, is your exhaust leakfree?

The enigne is running lumpy at tickover so we're going after the cause of this and hoping it solves the high Lambda issue. I'm again pretty sure the exhaust is leak free, but I'll douvble check that also.

Still off the original 13 fails I'm now down to 2 so the day wasn't a complete waste!
kindof

alister667

posted on 13/5/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not 100% sure raising the seats would help. I *think* moving the lap belt mounting points towards the front of the car might give it the correct position - but I don't fully understand. I'm certainly not going to re-weld the mounting bolts! It was the testers suggestion on the crotch belt thing. I think I'll go with that just to keep the SOB quiet!

I'll double check the leads as well - thanks for the help. To be honest I don't think I can look at the car for a coule of days, I'm kinda dispirited!

david cromie

posted on 16/5/04 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
seatbelts

Ali. ref. the searbelts I am having to weld a bar te same size as the roll bar and will be mounting the seatbelts to this. the bar will be about6"higher than the MK mountings. this will let the belts come straight through the seat holes. the problem with mine is that it appears cobra have altered the belt holes and my seats are way above the MK mounting locatings.see my utu reply. David.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.