Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Gauges
Wumps

posted on 27/4/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Dash Gauges

Hi all,

I am in the market for a complete set of gauges.

Are there different ratio's to look out for when buying a speedo?

I have seen some gauges advertised with "CABLE DRIVEN 3.55;1" is this a standard thing for 4 cylinder engines or what...?

Thanks for any advice.

RK

posted on 28/4/10 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know.

Cheaper to go with an all in one digital unit than to go traditional separates - way less wires too (which is why I want to change over).

Koso, Acewell, Vapor are reasonably priced all in ones. Otherwise, ETB makes separates for a good price from what I've seen.

[Edited on 28/4/10 by RK]

blakep82

posted on 28/4/10 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
i think the 3.55:1 is to do with the diff ratio?
better to go with electronic ones though, they can be set up for you car easy enough. a cable driven one will almost always need recalibrated, which is something you can't really do yourself

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Humbug

posted on 28/4/10 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've got ETB traditional style ones - they look good (IMHO) but there is more wiring and more cost. I agree - make sure you get an electronic speedo as they are easier to adjust.

I personally don't like the digital LCD squarish units from an aesthetic point of view. I think if I was starting from scratch I would get something like this:

plus a Bright 6 if necessary

turbodisplay

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
With electric speedos, it is often easier to connect a gearbox sensor. Ford speed sensors fit on almost every ford car.
It is also possible to use a brantz speed sensor to convert a cable drive to electronic.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wumps

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all and tahnsk for the replys.

Ahhh a see the diff ratio now that makes more sense. Yes I was also looking at the digi dashes but can't really decide - now you mention about the wiring reduction it may be the best option to take at my stage.

I have heard about the speedo sensor being converted, what have most people done? Fitted the magnet and sensor on their driveshaft? prop? or converted from electronic back to the ford gearbox mechanical feed?

Cheers again guys

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 28/4/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going for a digidash I recommentd the Race Technology DASH 2

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

turbodisplay

posted on 28/4/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ford sensor will fit directly in most ford gearboxes. All you need to do is power with 12v, negative connection, and output.
Three wires, couldn`t be simpler.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 28/4/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Ford sensor will fit directly in most ford gearboxes. All you need to do is power with 12v, negative connection, and output.
Three wires, couldn`t be simpler.

Darren

Tried that with my Acewell, doesn't work. Any advise??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Wumps

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
SSBB - that does seem a nice example but rather pricey!

To run an electronic speedo can I buy a cable fitting that goes onto the gearbox with wires on the other end to connect to my gauge or do I have to make one?

Also would such a set up need calibration and if so where from.

Cheers all

beaver34

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a set of guages for sale, racetech 80mm electric speedo and other 52mm ones if there any use
Wumps

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi beaver, i've just said to dave i'd have his in the for sale section but what are your ones like? Can you send me a U2U with a pic and further details please

Thanks

turbodisplay

posted on 30/4/10 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
The sensor just screws in instead of a cable.
Calibration is done using software on a pc for most, on mine pulses per mile.
Others have different methods like a switch at the rear.

Darren

Wumps

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I think i've found what you are on about, can you confirm?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electronic-Speedo-Sensor-Ford-Type-9-Type-E-Rocket-/160399328576?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash= item25588b8540

If I can't see one at Stoneleigh I'll order one off here.

turbodisplay

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thats it. My 20 year old Toyota has a similar and it works perfectly with my dash, nice square output pulses.
The toyota sensd 4 pulses per wheel rev, don`t know about the ford type though. You might need to count the pulses yourself.
Darren

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.