Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jaguar experts wanted
Breaker

posted on 8/5/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Jaguar experts wanted

A friend of me who owns a '98 Jag XJ8 3.2 called me the other day because his car that is standing in his yard over 3 months had a flat battery.

First I tried to recharge the battery in the car with a "modern" battery charger. I think because the battery is completely flat the battery charger didn't want to start charging. So I took the battery out of the trunk to connect it to an old school battery charger.

When I walked away with the battery I heard the trunk closing and in a flash of a second I realised the keys + remote were still in the trunk. This is should not be bad news BUT the owner lost his spare keys some time ago.

Good news is the front doors were still open so I could open the bonnet and I could connect the recharged battery to the front of the car. Then I tried the "open trunk" button on the dash, but nothing is happening

I suppose it is because the alarm/immobiliser is still active. Does someone knows another way in to the trunk ?

[Edited on 8/5/10 by Breaker]

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2759
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Over to you Speedy master of all Jaguar knowledge !!!!
Having said that if it were me i would gas axe a hole in the boot get the keys and then tape a bin liner over the hole, this done would have no detrimental effect to the value of a 98 Jag.

[Edited on 8/5/10 by CRAIGR]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried to get through the backseat upright squab?

r1_pete

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Try powering the car via the cigarette lighter, it will mean butchering a phone charger or something.

The socket should be upstream of the immobiliser.

[Edited on 8/5/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
How did you connect the battery to the front of the car?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

morcus

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
As above.
The boot on my dads 97 doesn't lock without the battery connected (Nothing does). on an x300 the boot should be the only thing that can be unlocked with a flat battey and Jag should be able to make you a new key if you've got your papers (Worked for us) but the new key will only open the boot until you set the chip.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Minicooper

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to do the same thing with my xjr, I connected a good battery to the front bulkhead connection made sure I had a good earth and it opened for me. My imobiliser/alarm had also been affected by the discharged battery wouldn't allow it to start but everything else worked as expected.

David

I had a battery still connected although it was totally flat that could be the difference

[Edited on 8/5/10 by Minicooper]

Breaker

posted on 8/5/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
How did you connect the battery to the front of the car?

I connected it to the B+ cable that is running from the battery to the fuses under the rear seats and to the fusebox under the bonnet.

Minicooper

posted on 8/5/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Breaker,
There is a proper power point on the bulkhead this is what I used to open my boot on the xjr

Cheers
David

Breaker

posted on 8/5/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Breaker,
There is a proper power point on the bulkhead this is what I used to open my boot on the xjr

Cheers
David

Can you describe where it is and what good earth connection I should use ?

Minicooper

posted on 8/5/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
For the earth I used the engine, the power connection goes through the bulkhead on my car it's on the left hand side in front of the passenger, it's about 6 inches down from the wiper panel and about a foot in from the wing edge. I found a picture I'm assuming yours will be the opposite side as it's lefthand drive?

It has a rubber boot which you peel back to reveal the positive connection

[Edited on 8/5/10 by Minicooper]

Markymark

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I work in a Jaguar garage and this is quite common. You can't go via the back seat there is a fuel tank in the way

If you can not get into the car by connecting power in the engine bay and releasing it electricly (you may not be able to if it is in valet mode)

The best way to gain access is to remove the number plate, drill a 10mm hole as low as you can go without showing, then using a screw driver release the catch.

Or get another key cut!!

morcus

posted on 9/5/10 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
When we did it the key cost £20 so its got to be your best option, I still think its odd that the boot closed and Locked as ours won't lock without power (I had to use my car to lock the doors last time I need to get inside and the boot wouldn't lock after that).

Breaker

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markymark
If you can not get into the car by connecting power in the engine bay and releasing it electricly (you may not be able to if it is in valet mode)

In can open the bonnet and I will try again to connect the battery to the proper B+ connection.

Last time I tried this I heard the alarm beep after connecting the battery (not fully charged) and the alarm went off after 10 seconds.

I hope the second try will be a success.

We have the papers of the car, but 20£ for a new key looks a bit cheap, no ?

morcus

posted on 9/5/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
£20 got us an unprogramed key that only opened the boot and doors, we paid in kind to have it programmed so I've no idea what it would cost for that bit.
We went to Barrets Jag, they looked the car up on the computor which told them how the key needed to be cut, and then cut it on a machine out back.

Breaker

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markymark
The best way to gain access is to remove the number plate, drill a 10mm hole as low as you can go without showing, then using a screw driver release the catch.

That did the trick !

Thanks !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.