Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Immobiliser in lieu of key?
Hugh_

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Immobiliser in lieu of key?

At present I have a dash mounted key with ignition, accessory, start etc. Because of the construction of the dash I havent been able to get it to mount solidly enough to prevent the barrel migrating when turning the key to starte without ruining the leather finish on the dash...

So I'm thinking of putting a push button start in that hole in the dash, and mounting a couple of toggle switches for the ignition, fuel pump etc.

What are peoples thoughts on using a transponder type immobiliser instead of a key?

Cheers
Hugh

ed1801

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the atom have the same transponder system?

I think I might hide a critical switch under the seat or something.

eznfrank

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I have a dummy ignition on the column and the real one tucked up under the dash, I'm hoping it might buy me an extra few seconds/minutes if some tries to nick it.
iank

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
I have a dummy ignition on the column and the real one tucked up under the dash, I'm hoping it might buy me an extra few seconds/minutes if some tries to nick it.

Even better if you wire up the fake switch to the horn/alarm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Richard Quinn

posted on 14/5/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I had a key switch in the dash but have now disabled it (it is still there but doesn't do anything). I have an alarm/immobiliser and a Toad immobiliser so, to start it, it's now a case of dissarming the alarm, placing the Toad fob in the receptacle, flicking an ignition switch and pressing the start button (or the start button on the alarm remote twice).

Edited due to sh*te spelling (it's been a long week!)

[Edited on 14/5/10 by Richard Quinn]

chrsgrain

posted on 14/5/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
+1 pretty much,

I didn't have any switches on the dash, underneath there was a latching push switch for the ignition and a momentary push wired via a relay to the starter combined with a fob immobiliser... didn't have any problems.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

BenB

posted on 14/5/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
That's a really good idea. Have a "fake" switch on the dashboard with EU approved wires connected up to a latching relay and the worlds biggest FO alarm system I like it! It would only ever go off it someone tried to hotwire it! Nice.
adithorp

posted on 14/5/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem I'd expect would be working out how to wire it so it arms/disarms.
Most systems arm on a timer after the ignition switches off. They look for the transponder signal after either the door light feed (not on our cars) or ignition is switched on. You'd have to work out a way around that.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

irvined

posted on 14/5/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I use the setup you describe. I have a toggle switch for ignition, and an immobilizer.

Make sure you wire the immobilizer up to the ignition, else it will never arm.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Hugh_

posted on 14/5/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps wire it into the fuel pump switch then?

I've just ordered one, so will have a better look at the wiring when it turns up.

bi22le

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
This topic has been covered before.
I recently got but not fitted from flea bay a £50 cat b transponder immobiliser.
It has three cuts (I will use ingnition, starter and fuel) and a door input. For the door input I will use a hidden switch.

So method of starting is:
battery isolation
flick the door switch
transponder input
flick on dash ignition
push starter.

I have no ignition key at the moment and dont really want one. It confuses the theives then!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.