Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking of selling my MK Indy.
Tipster69

posted on 14/5/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking of selling my MK Indy.

Hi,

I am toying with selling my MK Indy.

I have a couple of questions before I make my mind up.

I bought the car built, as I thought it would be good to try and get her on the road for this summer. I intended to strip her down and rebuild her from scratch. But, as time as gone on I have changed my mind (numerous times), and I really want to build completely from scratch thus putting my own stamp on "my car" and allowing me to say "I built her".

She has a 2.0 Pinto with the 205 head, Stainless Exhaust System (the MK one), AVO Coilovers, Fibreglass Seats etc .

She needs the clutch refitting (there is a new one in there but ill-fitted). I think all-in-all there is circa £5,500 worth of kit when originally built.

My questions:

1) Would I be better spending the time to get her through IVA (cost and time consuming).

2) Would I be better selling her as an unfinished project (how much am I likely to re-coup?)

3) Am I being daft in my "wanting to put my own stamp on the build"?

here is a piccie of her:

[Edited on 14/5/10 by Tipster69]

chrsgrain

posted on 14/5/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It will always be worth more with IVA... up to you about the 'stamp' thing, I enjoyed building much more than driving!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 14/5/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
can you not strip the current car right back and replace all the bit you dont like with what you do like lights dash body panels cycle wings indicators steering wheel.

I think you would be losing more money if you sold unroadworthy and then built your own having to source everthing.

Get it back to a rolling chassis, selling the bits you dont want, and rebuild?

Tipster69

posted on 14/5/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
can you not strip the current car right back and replace all the bit you dont like with what you do like lights dash body panels cycle wings indicators steering wheel.

I think you would be losing more money if you sold unroadworthy and then built your own having to source everthing.

Get it back to a rolling chassis, selling the bits you dont want, and rebuild?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I could do that, but I have this (perhaps daft) "thing", in my head that I want to do it all from scratch, the whole kaboodle.

I'm favouring selling her "as is" and then starting with a clean sheet (I think), even though I know that I'm not going to get anything like the "sum total of her parts" back.

iank

posted on 14/5/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look like much left to do for IVA. Only obvious thing visually is maybe needing to rotate the front arches round (they don't look like they cover the wheel at the front) and maybe extend the indicators.

Putting it though IVA would do three things for you. Firstly you'd get back the cash on increase value at sale time. Secondly you'd have experience of an IVA which will definitely help (time AND money) when building your own from scratch. Finally putting a few miles on the clock in a 7 will tell you whether you really want one and maybe for the BEC vs CEC decision.

But at the end of the day if you're prepared to take the financial hit in order to get going on your dream then someone else will get a bargain.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Tipster69

posted on 14/5/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Doesn't look like much left to do for IVA. Only obvious thing visually is maybe needing to rotate the front arches round (they don't look like they cover the wheel at the front) and maybe extend the indicators.

Putting it though IVA would do three things for you. Firstly you'd get back the cash on increase value at sale time. Secondly you'd have experience of an IVA which will definitely help (time AND money) when building your own from scratch. Finally putting a few miles on the clock in a 7 will tell you whether you really want one and maybe for the BEC vs CEC decision.

But at the end of the day if you're prepared to take the financial hit in order to get going on your dream then someone else will get a bargain.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments - they are all very valid. If the truth be known I don't really know what to do for the best hence this post to see what others thought.

Ideally, there is someone out there in the reverse situation of mine, that has an unstarted / abandoned project that wants a nearly complete one. Is Swap Shop still on, on a Saturday morning?

CHEERS

[Edited on 14/5/10 by Tipster69]

skinned knuckles

posted on 14/5/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
very tempting as i am not even at rolling chassis stage yet and starting to lose heart. my job, lack of space and time are the main probs. The main question is a beer tokens one though? whereabouts are you in the northwest? maybe i could have a nosey at the car and we could have a chat?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

dhutch

posted on 14/5/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i would iva it, drive it for the summer, make your mind up in september, but thats just me.

Theres a ball load of work building a car just to be able to say 'i built it' imo

Daniel

Tipster69

posted on 14/5/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm struggling with my connection as I'm currently in the middle of a field in the motorhome.

I will u2u ya skinned knuckles when I get home.

With regards to the ball of a job building from scratch. I appreciate it will be hard work, it just appeals to me (at least for now, lol).

CHEERS.

Lars

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
If I started over again I would probably buy a chassis. (and MK would be very near the top of the list)

The chassis was the longest part of my build.
And i never know if bodywork I buy actually fits, as every supplier that says book size seems to be working from different books.

If you really want to put your stamp on it I would strip it down to bare chassis and start the rebuild, selling bits you don't like and replacing them.

Also if you sold it and started from scratch you will take a massive financial hit., guaranteed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.