Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: canon vs nikon (550d v d90 )
pinto

posted on 15/5/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
canon vs nikon (550d v d90 )

Hi all
has any one got any views on these two (which is best not had a dslr before )
(or any better )
canon 550d
nikon d90
Had the fuji hs10 bridge camera loved the zoom (but bit two hit and miss on good pics)
Not realy intrested in video just good picture quality
and any thoughts on best lenses for birds
feathered kind (long zoom)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/5/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
My brother-in-law has the D90.. excellent camera!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Agriv8

posted on 15/5/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a D90 and upgraded the lense to the 18 200 VR. Which will shoot just about anything. the VR is fantastik will let you take hand held shots at really slow speeds.

The Auto mode is good but some of the features in non auto are very good.

For a review search fo d90 ken rockwell.

jessops will let you play with both ussually but but have a look at camera price buster for best deal's.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

jollygreengiant

posted on 15/5/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
My son was faced with a simmilar choice, he opted for the D90 and has not looked back or regreted it.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/5/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO is a professional photographer and will only use cannon cameras. most of the pro's she knows are the same. not saying there is anything wrong with others but there are more things right with the cannons (in their opinions)

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

tegwin

posted on 15/5/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Its so subjective.... go hold them both and they feel completely different... some people prefer the nikon.. others the canon..

I am a canon man and cant fault their gear..

But... rather than buying a brand new 550.... get a 400D second hand from a photo forum or ebay..... then spend the change on some GOOD glass! Its the lens that really makes a picture IMHO...

If you get confident/happy with the 400D and want to move on, you can keep the lenses and move up onto a full frame canon pro camera....

I use a 400D... did a photoshoot on thursday with it... fired over 800 shots in 4 hours.... ouch!

[Edited on 15/5/10 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

AdamR

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my first DSLR about a year ago and after reading a lot of reviews and playing with various brands/models in Jessops, I went for a Nikon D60. For me the ergonomics work better than any Canon model I tried, and the Nikons generally come with a better kit lens.

Hope that helps!

ReMan

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Canon
jacko

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the price of lenses the cannon lenses
seen to be expensive to other makes i be leave they have the motor in them, were other cameras have the motor in the camera body to work the lens

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
As a curve ball i'd go for one of the sony a350's. doesn't have the brand image of the others but its just as or more than a match for less cash Locost
stevebubs

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
As a curve ball i'd go for one of the sony a350's. doesn't have the brand image of the others but its just as or more than a match for less cash Locost

Sony got a headstart by buying Minolta...

franky

posted on 15/5/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
exactly! 30 years of glass to fit.

at work we use 100k broadcast cameras, they're sony

A serious point though with the sony kit, you do tend to get more for the money and not loose out in any other areas.

Liam

posted on 15/5/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Canon vs Nikon...

Naaaah - Olympus all the way

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm canon ........ took a few hundred shots at a wedding yesterday. The pro camera man was Nikon.

Reality is they're both good cameras. See which fits in your hand better - buy that one.

If they're both the same then you start worrying about specs etc. For example, if you want to do fancy arty shots the nikon should come with a remote flash option (flash not attached to the camera). To do this with Canon you have to buy either a very expensive flash, a very expensive flash driver or some cheap drivers and set up exposures manually.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.