Author: Subject: vauxhall ecu expert required
robocog

posted on 19/5/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
vauxhall ecu expert required

The story...
car comes in to us at work
V tidy 57 plate 1.6 Vaux Astra with a Z16XER

Engine has blown due to flood water??

So one of our guys replaces engine with another Z16XER..but the car will not start

Car was sent to a main dealer to see why not
Turns out that the main dealer thinks the ECU is not "matched" to the car and he does not have a 'working code' so cannot go any further
Was told that the dealer suggested the ECU had been 'swapped for a wrong one' before it was brought in to us

Boss has asked me to try and find out somewhere/someone that has the know how to make it run

Have been trying to google what is needed to get this car to run, but am not really getting anywhere

I don't often get the chance to frequent forums during work hours, but bosses have given me the go ahead so am making the most of it ;-)

Regards
Rob

tony-devon

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
from personal experience I would agree, they are a "set" with the transponder ring that surrounds the ignition barrel and the key etc

www.migweb is a great source of vauxhall info

saved me a fortune over the years, simple things like how to programme new keys etc etc

thinking about it, that might be worth a try?

we bought a set of second hand keys as the remote in ours failed

its a very long shot

but from memory, to program a key to that car I

put key into ignition, turned it to the last stage before you spin the engine over, then with key still in ignition, press and hold the door lock button, doors will lock and then unlock

the key is then programmed to that car, this certainly worked to get the remote central locking etc working, it also controls the immobilisor so I would think that its got to be worth a try

P.S.

if it works, mines a pint of diet coke please

[Edited on 19/5/10 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 19/5/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
As above, MigWeb is a bountiful source of information, useful and otherwise. Else if you're still having trouble and want to speak to someone, try Vauxhall Performance Spares Centre in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex. Guys there have been breaking Vauxhalls for years and know their stuff, perhaps they might be able to shed some light. You'll have to google them as I no longer have their number, been a while since I owned a Griffin mobile!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

loggyboy

posted on 19/5/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
As above, you will need a matched Key, pickup transponder and ECU.
Cousin Cleotis

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the ecu hasnt been changed between the engine failing and the replacement engine being fitted it should be fine. The ECU doesnt know one lump of metal from another. But if the ecu has been changed as previously mentioned then it will not match the chip in the key, as far as im aware the transonder doesnt need to be matched, it just reads the key.

Paul

[Edited on 19/5/10 by Cousin Cleotis]

robocog

posted on 19/5/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted
Turns out if was nothing more complex than the ECU (which is bolted to the engine- and was mistaken for a spark controller) did not get swapped over
So yes it was immobilised due to the keys not being matched up to the ECU

Soon as it was swapped over it bust into life and spat loads of yucky water out (which must have filled the exhaust pipe when it got flooded)

Its been heat cycled and burped and lives to drive another day :-)
...though it does mean I will have to get off the forums and get some real work done now :-(

Regards
Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.