Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: arc eye!
skinned knuckles

posted on 20/5/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
arc eye!

just a warning to other users. i have an auto derkening helmet for welding, which was worked fine for over a year now but i have just descovered a flaw the painful way. i managed to block the sensor on the mask with a bit of the chassis and i was welding quite close to my face. the lens didn't darken and i got the full blast of the arc straight into my eyes. i have had arc eye before so i know its going to be bad tomorrow eye drops are going in every half hour at the mo in an effort to make it not so bad but tomorrow will feel like my eyelids have turned to sandpaper...... beware of auto derkeners!

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

turbodisplay

posted on 20/5/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the auto darkerners have a uv filter to prevent arc eye if it fails? Ie just bright light gets through it undarkened (bad but not arc eye bad)?

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
you may be lucky if it was just a flash.
from previous experience,eye drops are useless,go to you doctor/hospital/chemist and get THE RIGHT CREAM.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

blakep82

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
think you might be alright. the auto darkeners have UV filters to stop any badness

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

skinned knuckles

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
I thought the auto darkerners have a uv filter to prevent arc eye if it fails? Ie just bright light gets through it undarkened (bad but not arc eye bad)?

Darren

i would like to hope that was the case but this was a cheap as chips helmet imported from somewhere i cannot pronounce so i have my doubts. also can feel my eyes starting to go a bit uncomfy now so not looking too good. my friendly chemist is dropping the right cream off for me a bit later so there is hope yet.

BenB

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yup- they should do! I had a similar incident. Made my vision go a bit wonky for a while but didn't give me proper arc eye.....
mattyc

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Start saving your tea bags just incase!!

[Edited on 20/5/10 by mattyc]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm - odd. If my auto helmet doesn't darken then I get what I would call a "gas welding" shade - quite dark green. It would be very unpleasant to look at an arc through this, but I doubt whether it would do any damage.

thunderace

posted on 20/5/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
arc eye!
normaly gets you if the flash hits the corner of your eye, i think hop you will be ok if it was a mig ,let us know how you are in the morning (if you dont we will know why....

andylancaster3000

posted on 20/5/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, I think you'll be OK. Numerous times it hasn't darkened for that very reason for me and I've never had a problem. Though only ever with a decent quality mask.
skinned knuckles

posted on 20/5/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the encouraging replies. hope you are right as i really don't want to go through that again. also SWMBO will confiscate the welder if she finds out i have damaged myself again. the only ill effects i sem to have so far is a blinding headache

posted on 20/5/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Good quality auto helmets have 2 sensors, some have 4.
The optical quality is better too.

I find it hard to understand why some one would trust their eyesight to cheap tack.

I mean, would you buy brake pads if they were marked as "Made in Ying Pong", just to save a pound or two?

Cheers
Paul G

BenB

posted on 20/5/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Good quality auto helmets have 2 sensors, some have 4.
The optical quality is better too.

I find it hard to understand why some one would trust their eyesight to cheap tack.

I mean, would you buy brake pads if they were marked as "Made in Ying Pong", just to save a pound or two?

Cheers
Paul G

Why? Have you seen some on special?

Peteff

posted on 20/5/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Even clear glass will filter UV which is what causes the damage burning your conjunctiva, you should only get flashed with nothing in front of your eye. I wear a pair of safety glasses as well as the mask and haven't had one for years.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

40inches

posted on 20/5/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ wot he just said, I think plastic lenses are even better.
expatkiwi

posted on 20/5/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had it on monday morning. I woke about 2am and did not know what to do with myself.Got down to A&E and got some cream. Had a rare up with someone who could not speak or understand engrish to well. All sorted and now a happy bunny.

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

Davey D

posted on 20/5/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
As above... I always wear my clear safety specs under my welding screen. Whilst tig'ing ive had my auto darker screen go off to be dazzled by the bright light several times, and ive never had a flash from it.
jacko

posted on 20/5/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
2 second hand cold wet tea bags on the eyes wrap a tea towel around and go to bed
Don't blame me if you look like a pander in the morning

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 21/5/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.