Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front cycle wing fixing to Viento..
phil4521

posted on 27/5/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Front cycle wing fixing to Viento..

I have the older smaller wings that only just cover the width of the wheel on each side by about 1mm. I now need to fix them to the bent over brackets. I will need to put some rubber material on each bracket so that each mud guard will sit on something. ( I cant bend the brackets into an convex shape) So the chances of drilling the wing and then the bracket and having the whole thing sit right with 1mm each side are zero I think. I am going to need adjustment or maybe I bond them on but dont think that's strong enough at 120 Any suggestions?

Thanks as always!

Tommy P

posted on 27/5/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, you can bond them on with soudal fix all whch is an ms polymer adhesive.
I'v had my front cycle wings stuck into the brackets for about 1500 miles now and have done excessive speeds with them. (Obviously I can't say I've done 120 mph) but can assure you they won't come off.

Welderman and others have done the same and will vouch for the strength of this stuff.

It will rip off the gell coat and fiberglass first.

Just give them a few days to set properly - I left mine to set for three days (over winter temperatures).

Jackaroo

posted on 27/5/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used a piece of rubber cut from some 3-ply conveyor belting I had lying around and placed that on top of the flat portion of the bent over bracket. My brackets also seemed a bit on the short side after I had bent them over but I managed to mark off the two holes more or less equal distance relative to the sides of the tyre so that the screws appear centre on the wing once I had it centered on top of the bracket. It took quite a bit of bending and readjusting of the bentover portion till I was satisfied that the wing would be lying center on the tyre, then marked off the holes first on the metal, drilled them through and then marked off their position onto the wing lying ontop and then carefully drilled the wing holes.

Regards
Gerrie

stevegough

posted on 30/5/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy P
Hi, you can bond them on with soudal fix all whch is an ms polymer adhesive.
I'v had my front cycle wings stuck into the brackets for about 1500 miles now and have done excessive speeds with them. (Obviously I can't say I've done 120 mph) but can assure you they won't come off.

Welderman and others have done the same and will vouch for the strength of this stuff.

It will rip off the gell coat and fiberglass first.

Just give them a few days to set properly - I left mine to set for three days (over winter temperatures).

Is this the right stuff? - Sounds better than bolting? Ebay link

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.