Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Filter King Regulator
rsmith95uk

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Filter King Regulator

Hi,
been having some fuelling issues & believe it may be to do with the regulator.
I have ZX6 carbs on 2 litre Pinto and the fuelling is via an electric pump (sorry, no idea what one - been a long time since I bought it and no identification on it) and the filter/regulator. This setup worked fine when I had twin webers but now I'm getting what seems to be starvation.
The issue is that I've tried increasing and decreasing pressure (on a trial & error basis) without it seeming to make any difference.
Any idea's?
What pressure should I be setting?
Which way does the adjuster on top of the regulator need to be turned to increase/decrease pressure? I ask as I have the instructions in front of me which says that its clockwise to increase pressure, but read on another forum that its anti-clockwise!!
Cheers
Ray

r1_pete

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
It is clockwise to increase filter king pressure, I was checking mine at the weekend.

What angle are your carbs at, ideally similar to their orientation on the bike?

Have you had them re-jetted? 150's approx for a 1.8 160 - 170 for the 2.0L?

What about float levels, have you checked those?

If your setup fed webers it will feed bike carbs with no problems, bike carbs need about 1.5 - 2 psi, webers 3-4.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rsmith95uk

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the quick response pete - the carbs & manifold were supplied by Bogg Bros, so assume all is ok on that front. How would overfuelling manifest itself - would I be seeing fuel leaking from the carbs?
Cheers
Ray

r1_pete

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
You'd only see overflowing fuel if the float valves weren't shutting off, as they're from boggs I'd assume all is ok in that area.

Have the air correction jets been blocked? on the filter side of the carb, its the middle brass lined drilling, about 3mm dia.

Without them blocked on my old kawasaki carbs, progression from primary to main was very poor.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rsmith95uk

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the correction jets - will check tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.
Ray

Jon Ison

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
as it run ok with this pump/carb set up ?

\you may well find it will run much better with a bike pump, the pressure required is so low the reg often restricts flow to much when set to give such a low pressure|?

David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto what Jon says - I put bike carbs on my x-flow, and couldn't get them to work properly with the Facet pump and a Filter King regulator. You just can't get low pressure combined with a high flow rate.

When I put a bike pump on with no regulator it just worked - plain and simple.

norfolkluego

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
We've had issues with bike carbs and a Filter King, ditched it (and the Facet pump) in favour of a matched bike fuel pump, that sorted out the overfuelling problem we had but then......
read http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=136178

To cut it down, check the jets in your carbs

[Edited on 31/5/10 by norfolkluego]

rsmith95uk

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'll give the bike pump a go.

It seems that zx6 pumps are located in-tank - which external pumps will be suitable?

Cheers
Ray

Dingz

posted on 1/6/10 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I run my bike carbs, (R1) with the standard pinto pump, a filter king with the screw almost falling out, and its fine. What colour are your plugs? is it lean? have you tried lifting the needles? I assume you have syncronised the carbs.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

norfolkluego

posted on 1/6/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsmith95uk
thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'll give the bike pump a go.

It seems that zx6 pumps are located in-tank - which external pumps will be suitable?

Cheers
Ray

We bought a Frieblade (external) pump but we have Fireblade carbs, not sure if it will work with ZX6 carbs but I can send you a link if you want.
Even when you've sorted the fuel pump you'll still need to check the main jet sizes in the carbs, our's are from Bogg Brothers too and they had been drilled out miles too much by the look of it. Switched to 150 main jets and it now runs like a dream.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.