Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: attaching rear view mirror
garysenter

posted on 2/6/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
attaching rear view mirror

very new to this and only had my mk indy for a week....have purchased a dash mountable rear view mirror. requires 3 holes putting into top of dash where aero screens sit.....any advise on drilling into glass fibre also any special type of screws???
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/6/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Three rivnuts and dome headed bolts to make it look pretty? That's what I did!

PS - probably not wise to ask the same question in 3 sections of the forum, might cause you some upset from the admins!

[Edited on 2/6/10 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Jon Ison

posted on 2/6/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Make a spreader plate to spread the load under the dash/scuttle to help keep vibration down, place masking tape on the scuttle to mark and drill through

Coopz

posted on 2/6/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I personally would nut and bolt with some large penny washers underneath and a nice dome bolt maybe allen key. I have had some bad experience trying to set rivnuts in fibreglass.
BenB

posted on 2/6/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I would also suggest using a rather blunt drill bit (prevents cracking), make sure you countersink the hole slightly (yet more crack prevention) and I would also use penny washers underneath and some proper bolts rather than relying on rivnuts...
garysenter

posted on 3/6/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys just checking in for progress report....the fixing of rear view mirror went well thanks to your advise....used masking tape prior to drilling...first 1 mm drill then progressed increasing by 1mm at a time on variable speed hand drill in reverse as advised !!!! kind of looks wrong but yes it does work...patience and slowly slowly catchy monkey attitude......seems to rub its way through rather than cut but as you said is far better when working with such a fibrous material. used small phillips headed straight shank screws with nuts on the back to secure with a rubber circular disc in between base of mirror mounting and bodywork...........excellent guys thankyou all so much......did a few other jobs today. stuck on my stone chip carbon fibre guards onto both rear wheel arches and used wifes clear nail varnish to paint over the edges to prevent fibres fraying......but before all this i tackled the easiest job of the day.....well it should have been anyway. fitting new alloys and tyres !.....unfortunately due to the very minimal clearance around each stud hole i discovered the wheel nut adaptor i needed to use in conjunction with my wheel brace seemed to foul on the clearance holes around the location holes of the wheels....hope this all makes sense.....consequently the thin walled adaptor didnt like it and promptly rounded off its internal hexagon shape.......so i am currently wearing 2 nice new alloys and 2 old ford alloys .....phoned the supplier and fingers crossed i recieve a new adaptor tool tomorrow and i can finish the supposedly simple job of fitting my new alloys......what a day !!!
oh yeah thanks for the adice about posting same question on different sections.....to be honest didnt know which section best to place it in and wanted as much advise as possible as soon as possible.......but i know what ur saying ....thanks....gary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.