Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering self centering
gy351100

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
steering self centering

Hi all
Advice please.
When checking for self centering I found that when turning right centered ok, but when turning left did not.
Comments please.
Cheers
Keith

l0rd

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Did you make sure the top wishbones are the correct way round?
RazMan

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Caster is normally the biggest factor affecting self centering - also toe in and tyre pressures.

As above, check that your wishbones are the right way round, making the top ball joint behind the lower one. You might try a little less toe in and increasing tyre pressures

[Edited on 9-6-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/6/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
And check that your steering rack is centered when the wheels are pointing straight ahead (may account for the assymetric centering).

To check - wind the wheel fully left, then go fully right while counting the number of turns of the steering wheel. Divide the number of turns by 2, then wind the wheel that many turns back towards the left. If your wheels are still point straight ahead then you're properly centered! If not, leave the steering wheel in that position and adjust the track rod ends until they are. You'll need to re-adjust the tracking afterwards if you do this.

(and apologies if you know all this already).

snapper

posted on 9/6/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Very recently Gavinc had the same problem at IVA, we did the same thing rotating the mushrooms to add more caster andtoed the wheels in, this was better but no cigar, the tester hinted that on some occations toing out had helped, we did this and bingo we passed.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Stott

posted on 9/6/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
rotating the mushrooms doesn't alter the castor as it's measured by the angle between the ball joint centres not the angle at which the hub lies back.

That's prob why it didn't work, not being pedantic just saying so it will save others doing it needlessly

Cheers
Stott

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.