Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover v8 - injection or carbed?
dan_g8

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Rover v8 - injection or carbed?

Hi, i currently have a a rover v8 which is injected. in a coupole of months (when funds become avaliable) i plan on rebuilding the engine.

What are peoples opinions? do i stick with the injection or should i sell the injection and change to carbs?

if i go to carbs it will also help with my clearance problems between engine and bonnet.

thanks Rescued attachment eng1.jpg
Rescued attachment eng1.jpg

marcjagman

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer carbs, they look so much niver and not as many wires and stuff in the way. Most prefer injection as it can be tuned better and is generally trouble free and more economical.
deezee

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get away with carbs with regards to the IVA emissions test?

AdamR

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Injection is generally the better option, even using antiquated flapper systems as used on early injection RV8s.

You can partially address the bonnet clearance issues by machining around 30mm off the trumpet base. I've just had this done... will post of some pictures when I get a chance. Hopefully won't need a bonnet bulge now at all.

[Edited on 11/6/10 by AdamR]

turbodisplay

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
To me injection is simple, carbs are (more)difficult. To most people it is the other way round. As it is a V8 it will use more fuel so fuel injection is the only thing that makes sesnse on a 2l+ engine.
The injection system should be simple to setup, either megasquirt or use orriginal setup.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have just been through the whole should I carb or inject my RV8 question. In the end I plumped for the carb option as I don't know anything about EFI and I am new to car building. I also got one at a good price from a fellow locoster.

From all the research I did however I would suggest that EFI is the better option but more difficult to install if you are not familiar with it.

This whole topic is a huge can of worms through with everyone having there own opinion. One bloke even claimed that carbs sound better. I don't know if its true.

Head here for some good advice V8forum

Rinky Dink Link

scudderfish

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've just gone from carbs to MS EDIS on my RV8.

I was never happy with carbs as they struck me as not far removed from voodoo. My car ran fine, but I did have issues with my dizzy/coil/ignition amp set up.

I now have a redundant RV8 manifold with a Weber 38DGAS sat on top if you're interested. Random pictures of it here http://picasaweb.google.com/dave.g.smith/ManifoldSwap#

scudderfish

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Another thought, this page

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/gallery/05/01_efi_compare/

has a good size comparison of various EFI options. The EFI set up I have is the smallest on that page, so that will give you an idea of how big the DGAS is.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
The simplest option is Carbs

Then carbs + megajolt ( gets rid of Dizzy)

Then the next option is standard injection + ecu

then megasquirt

Then custom injection using Bike throttle bodies
(just for show)

I hahe done the first two and now changing to a semi standard injection (thor system) on Megasquirt then adding bike throttle bodies for show.

Paul

The only reason I keep changing is I like to try it.

richardh

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
INHO CARBS every time

Time for a change!

RAYLEE29

posted on 11/6/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
hi, my rv8 with a holley (in a tr7v8) drinks fuel id go injection especially as you already have it.
single plenum should be good for 200 horses and should be alot smoother.
by the way rv8s are money pits to rebuild does it really need rebuilding?
Ray

dan_g8

posted on 11/6/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys everyone, looks like ill stick with the injection.

quote:
Originally posted by RAYLEE29
by the way rv8s are money pits to rebuild does it really need rebuilding?
Ray

To be honest i dont think that it will need a full refurb. The person i bought it from "said" that he had never had issues from it.
But when i removed the oil filter the oil was extreamly thick and black so im guessing that the oil hadn't been changed for a while.

I was thinking about a small rebuild. Gaskets, Degrease & painting the block, maybe new piston rings, big end bearings & a hone.

Can you think of any thing i should do/ not do?

Dan

robinj66

posted on 11/6/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
If the engine has a high mileage (quite possible if the oil is black sludge) then think about changing the cam and the follower, new timing chain and sprockets, lapping the valves in (at the very least).

Check the oil pump housing for signs of wear/ possibly replace the oil pump gears.

Trouble is, where to end? depends on what state of tune you want to push your engine to.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.