Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bank Transfer ? Safe ?
fesycresy

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Bank Transfer ? Safe ?

I've sold some bits and the guy wants to do a bank transfer. He wants my sort code and account number.

I see so many things going wrong, I was just wondering is this safe?

I'd rather look a numpty asking a question that look a numpty losing money!

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

marcjagman

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bank transfers are usually very safe and take about 3-5 days to complete. He will need the name on the account, sort code and account number and the bank name (HSBC, Halifax etc) If in doubt ask your bank.
big-vee-twin

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you bank takes part in the fast banking scheme it will happen instantly

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

chrsgrain

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest, with that information can he get at your cash in any way?

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

bi22le

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well I have used them a few times.
He cant do too much these days with the sort code and acc number except transfer money into it!

If its not for that much just use paypal and swallow the fee. If its quite alot paypal charge alot so then maybe take the risk.

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

T66

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you think how hard it is now to get a bank account, ie how many times you ID yourself to have the pleasure.

You are paying someone who actually exists, isnt working off the end of a mobile etc.

It comes with the obvious risk of he doesnt send you the goods or they are defective, but you will at least be able to report him to the police if its a scam, or civil court him if he sends you defective goods.

Ive just done one here with Scootz who is spot on and trust , bit more fraught if you dont know them.

You need to get full details, name address etc and google them.

facebook them and see what you find. Its hard not to exist nowadays on the tinterweb.

Search their posts and see how busy / reliable they are, in the past I leave a positive note so other buyers can read it.

You can google maps them too

If the amount is smallish then paypal charges are not too bad, this does bring you slight peace of mind.

Ive been lucky so far, just tread carfeully and do your homework.

Good luck

tegwin

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I dont really see it as a risk these days....

If they are international they will want your IBAN number as well as those mentioned above...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

rayward

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
your only giving him the same information as yo would if you wrote someone a cheque. so can;t see a problme with,

have done it a couple of times myself, but if your worried, open a second account (which you can do online most of the time) guve hum those details, then close the account once its done

Ray

r1_pete

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to do it using a SWIFT code, that doesn't identify you or your account to him, SWIFT are a trusted 3rd Party.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have converted a lot of my payments to Bank transfer, yes they is more risk than paypal but they don't take any fees and with most banks or within banks, Its instant so just as good. And then you don't have to wait the 3-5 days to transfer money from paypal to bank.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Like those above, I have used it plenty and actually prefer the instant transfer.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Anything is possible though

Jezzer Link

Mr G

posted on 11/6/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I don't use anything else than bank transfer, did have a no chex account until they went downhill. Used BT's for years without any problems, these days they've speeded up the transfer process so most go through instantly. As someone has already mentioned your only giving out the same information you would if you sent a cheque to someone.

Other alternative is getting them to deposit the cash over the counter of their local branch of your bank/building society which goes in straight away (most of the time)

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

fesycresy

posted on 11/6/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, thanks all.

As I said, I'd rather ask a question than post 'I was robbed'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.