Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with air con compressor
dwpage

posted on 12/6/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Help with air con compressor

If anyone has an air con compressor of their donor car that they want to get rid of, I need one. I'm looking for a small car one with a V belt pulley, lighter the better. No I havent got a posh kit car ive got one of these
Description
Description

I need it to drive the air operated bonnet opening and closing (all locost honest). Ive tried tyre compressors and there useless also tried fridge compressors but it means extra kit to get 240V. Fleabay and scrappers seem to want an arm and a leg for these items, so has anyone got something locost that fits the bill. Short vid of bonnet opening here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flibble

posted on 12/6/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with the compressor I'm afraid, I'm just being curious
Could something like a linear actuator Linky , but in a 12v version be used instead of air power?

les g

posted on 12/6/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
do you not have an accumulator to lift it
i would of thought a small compressor like the off-road brigade for air lock diffs
would charge a small accumulator easily enough to lift that bonnet.
your rams dont seem large and i guess the bonnet is light .
i,ve seen old fire extinguishers used as accumulators/reservoirs with a small regulator in-line and a solenoid valve that
would be a fairly simple fit up
cheers les g

mark chandler

posted on 12/6/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
rangerover/discovery suspension compressor? and as above a small reservoir so a little calor gas bottle. Use a LPG electric valve to seal to cap the reservoir so the pump just tops this up.

[Edited on 12/6/10 by mark chandler]

dwpage

posted on 12/6/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys thanks for the input, i have a small accumulator about 6 litres already fitted, and the system runs at about 125 psi. The bonnet is quite heavy on par with a large tin top I would have thought. I have searched the web etc and several off road sites have used small air con compressors and have got really good results from this, but needs must and i need to go the locost route.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 12/6/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have one from a Supra. You may have to change the pulley (not sure) but you're welcome to it if you can collect.
dwpage

posted on 12/6/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 12/6/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
i have one from a puma, you'll have to change the pulley, i'll post it at cost if it's any good to you
dwpage

posted on 12/6/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent
dwpage

posted on 12/6/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Flibble Nice thought and it would certainly be powerful enough, the problem is the bonnet needs to be lifted slightly at the back then slid forward before the bonnet actually tilts. Very convoluted I know and it took me a long time to work out the timing and actuation of the various rams 5 in total plus 4 micro switches (there more for safety ie you cant operate the bonnet if it is locked closed) So it would need a complete rebuild (not locost) but it would negate the need for a compressor, I can see where your coming from, anyway nice thought and thanks for your input.
blakep82

posted on 13/6/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
what about hydraulic? a roof set up from a peugeot can be had pretty cheap off ebay i think, and would be less 'springy' when it opens up i think.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dwpage

posted on 13/6/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The springyness is due to me not having set up the dampening at the end of the rams travel yet, also problem as above with the opening action.
Thanks

robinj66

posted on 13/6/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Following on from our U2U's, here are a couple of pics of the unit I have. (It may be a power steering unit?)

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

let me know if it's of any use to you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.