Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie - say hi this w/e
ShaunB

posted on 15/6/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Newbie - say hi this w/e

I'll be competing in my first ever motor race this w/e at Brands, I'm Locost #32 and running in group B. Say Hi if you are passing, and if I look lost please point me in the right direction

I'm testing on Friday AM and camping over Friday and Saturday nights - anyone else?

Cheers,
Shaun.

austin man

posted on 15/6/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
youll know if you get lost as there will be a lot of cars coming towards you. Good luck at the weekend was hoping to be ther but unfortunately not able to.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

bi22le

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Shame Im busy, I could of come down a waved you on. I would of made you feel welcome with a whoop whoop as you went past and asked for your signature.

Good luck, Brands is an awesome track!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ernie

posted on 16/6/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
stay calm, collected, & cool. but this is impossible. You have an advantage of friday testing. park near any locosts. You may be able to sign on on Saturday, collect any stickers (750, Deamon Tw, motors TV) etc. that may be required. Sunday morning, BE READY, top up fuel & fluids before scrootts. get in early just in case anything might be amiss. Take in plenty of fuids yourself. After scroots have all your racewear to hand, when you see others leave for pits, FOLLOW, and have a great day. I'll be in Lanzagrote. Cock up on holiday bookings!! Hopefully will see you at Cadwell, Ernie
blackie

posted on 16/6/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the formula Shaun, great to see new drivers getting involved. See you on Sunday, I'll look out for you to say hello.

ATB

Dave Black
Locost 28

ShaunB

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks. Yes I was hoping I might be able to sign on on the Saturday and also attend a first drivers briefing to save having to fit it in between scrutineering at 9:00 and practise at 10:20.

Cheers,
Shaun.

steveiow

posted on 21/6/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry only just noticed this thread otherwise I would have popped over and said Hi to another 2010 Locost Newbie.

Well you made the final and finished in a creditable place for your first event - how did you feel your weekend went?

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

ShaunB

posted on 26/6/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the delay in replying, drove 2 hours home on Sunday, put the car away, packed a bag, got 4 hours sleep and then drove back to Gatwick as I had to be in Munich all week for business. Zzzzz.....

Still the weekend itself was excellent and everyone was so friendly and helpful. Testing Friday morning was as much about about me getting used to the car rather than specifically tweaking it for the circuit. Special thanks to Sam of SRB Racing who took the time to chat to me about how the car was handling before walking over and softened the dampers off to give me more grip (which worked a treat!). Spent friday night having a beer in the Kentagon with the SRB and TMC Motorsport crews and was made to feel most welcome.

Saturday morning I was able to attend the first race briefing, sign-on and I also ran the car up to the scrut's when they'd finished everyone else so they could check it over before Sunday. I'd fitted a f/glass seat and wanted to check about whether I needed a pad behind the helmet, but it turns out that they didn't approve of the brackets I'd made to hold the top of the seat firm. Chief scrut said to remove the brackets altogether and that would be OK. I'd also forgotten to yellow tape the new earth lead.

Back in the paddock I spotted 2 hairline cracks in the s/s manifold at the flange where it meets the head, probably the cause of the hesitation I was getting when first getting back on the power. I asked around and was directed to HT Racing who were literally 300 yards up the road out of the paddock entrance. They did an excellent welding job, on the spot, and only charged £20 - top blokes!

And so to race day. First scrutineering - fail! They now reckon the seat isn't secure enough and I need to brace it to the rear bulkhead - arse! 3 blocks of wood held together with gaffa tape and a few self-tappers to hold it all in place and I have a pass - thanks to all who rallied around helping me.

Practise was a case of 3 steady laps and then trying to follow others lines and see where I could improve.

In the heat I had 2 rows behind me at the start, but I think they all jumped me when I had to back off a bit as I'd caught the car in front and couldn't see a way round. I managed to stay on the tail of the cars in front and got at least 3 overtakes in, 1 into Paddock, 1 into Druids and 1 into Surtees. Its was bloody fantastic I also improved by lap time by just over second.

Due to a number of cars falling off in the heat I made the final and in a similar grid slot. Too much wheelspin off the line saw me at the back again and another 18 minute adrenaline rush ensued. I managed to reel in Barry Stuart in #37 but couldn't find a way past (although I had a few looks). We both passed a couple of others with me just follwing through the gap he created, but I finished sat right on his tail. Took another second off my best time too!

Did I enjoy it, OMG yes, looking forward to Cadwell (although I never driven there).

Shaun - Locost #32

steveiow

posted on 26/6/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Great write up and I dont think any race weekend is without a few "issues" - its what makes racing such a great challenge.

I will be at Cadwell too so make sure to pop over and say Hi to another Newbie.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.