Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can legally build a kit car without doing the IVA
neo2

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can legally build a kit car without doing the IVA

Question if i built a MK indy using a donor car ie sierra..

Would i still have to do the IVA ?

Is there a legal way of not having to go through all the IVA carry on ??

My car was built in 2007 era and never registered see and quite fancy it registered thats all..

graememk

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
well as 99% of early indys think there duttons......

SeanStone

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
If say there was a crashed/damaged/part rebuilt kit car and the registrations fell off of that onto a similar looking car. You might get away with it?
franky

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
There's not a way around it, its there to protect yourself and other road users.

anything else is called ringing.

austin man

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
the answer is legall no,

is the car the original MK demonstrator if so that my answer your previous question about seat mounting. The additional straps may not have bee
n fitted due to weight reduction as this car did a lot of track sessions.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

austin man

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure some one on here had a coming together with a volvo and an Indy within the past week or two

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mcerd1

posted on 15/6/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
the only way round the IVA for a new build is to keep the donors chassis - so not an option for a se7en

read here: linky

[Edited on 15/6/2010 by mcerd1]

-

balidey

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neo2
Is there a legal way of not having to go through all the IVA carry on ??

yeah, making sure a car is safe and legal for use on the road is such a pain. Would be so much easier if car building was a free for all*

*Meant 'slightly' tongue in cheek

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

prawnabie

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thats one of the reasons I bought a pre SVA car!
snapper

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The IVA is not such a big deal, yes there are some hoops to jump through, but only a fool would drive a performance car at speed without having the slightest idea whether the brakes work properly or the wheels will stay on.
This type of thinking worries me as the next step is to avoid insurance and MOT's.
People who do not know ask how I know my car is safe when I tell them I built it, I happily explain the severity of the IVA (in my case SVA) and how I passed.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

afj

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
As long as a car is built properly SVA/IVA is not as scary as people think, although ive only put my indy through SVA i found it nothing more than a MOT test type affair
i got there just before 8am test started at 08:20 then 20 mins checking speedo and brakes 5 mins with the ball on a stick 20 mins for emissions 10 mins on the ramp and 2 mins checking headlight aim another 20 mins for setting up the noise test then a quick drive around the building certificate in hand and i was off home at 10am im pretty sure the tester has a good idea of the outcome of the test within the first 30 seconds

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

neo2

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ive no issues in putting it through an SVA/IVA or the work it intails to be honest ive built plenty of race cars rally cars and stuff before, i just heard the IVA was more finicky than the old SVA and to be honest the MK is a race car anyway just fancied the option of road use if i decided i wanted to use it etc..

Probably just not bother as ive plenty of other cars to use on road, but was wondering what my options were thats all.

neo2

posted on 15/6/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
is the car the original MK demonstrator if so that my answer your previous question about seat mounting. The additional straps may not have been fitted due to weight reduction as this car did a lot of track sessions.

Mk built two more or less identicle demonstrators one was used for the majority of the track sessions, and the other was used as a event car/track sessions but not as many etc, mine is the one that did a bit less track use apparently as its still like nes in every area..

[Edited on 15/6/10 by neo2]

austin man

posted on 15/6/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
A set of seat runners would sort your seat mounting problem, you already have the mounting rails in situ for the runners

blakep82

posted on 15/6/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
you coulod always just take a sierra, copy the vin number and stick it on your kit car, screw the plates on and drive it. many seem to, but its illegal. so no, you can't. IVA's there for a reason

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mad4x4

posted on 16/6/10 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you coulod always just take a sierra, copy the vin number and stick it on your kit car, screw the plates on and drive it. many seem to, but its illegal. so no, you can't. IVA's there for a reason

And if your ever stopped by the OLD BILL (PLOD) you will have some horrible expalining of why your Sierria looks like a "7"

and you would have trouble selling.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

snapper

posted on 16/6/10 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
, i just heard the IVA was more finicky than the old SVA

I have been through 3 SVA's and 1 IVA and the IVA is not much different to the old SVA.
The manual is pretty clear and if you get someone who has been through IVA to look at your car it will soon be clear if you can get your car through

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

RoadkillUK

posted on 16/6/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you are afraid that the car won't pass an IVA test, it really shouldn't be on the road IMO.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 16/6/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have no problem with IVA, it gives assurance to buyers that the car is safe.
I do have a problem with the cost compared to SVA, they aren't that much different to warrant the increase

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.