Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolling roaded...
phelpsa

posted on 18/6/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling roaded...

We had the Locost rolling roaded and setup at Big CC this week.

After a day of carb fiddling and 6 runs on the rolling road it made 121bhp at the wheels and pulls beautifully all the way through the rev range not bad for a 20 year old engine.

Any ideas what 121bhp is likely to equate to at the crank?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 18/6/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know how this ended up in the for sale section.... i'm not really with it tonight! Any chance it can be moved to the BEC section?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 18/6/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Add 17-20% for flywheel figure So anbout 145bhp at fly.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

phelpsa

posted on 18/6/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Add 17-20% for flywheel figure So anbout 145bhp at fly.

Well it came from the factory with 143bhp so i'm happy with that!

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/6/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Adam, so you (actually your dad) fixed the fuel leak.

Those figures sounds very credible and should be very lively in your lightweight car.

Have you a printout of the torque curve? mine has a serious torque peak at 7k (reving out to 11k) which makes it very strong on the road, although a bit surprising as you accelerate in 2nd but lose traction when as you hit the torque peak.

I haven't rolling roaded (I am too mean, and my car has too many weird mods to bother explaining but I'd like to sort the ignition timing) but am now using 95% of the fuel injector capacity at 12.8AFR (and I believe these injectors are the same as Hayabusa injectors) so I too am a believer in these old Gixer engines.

Nice work,

Matt

phelpsa

posted on 19/6/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
The carbs still spurt fuel every now and again, pretty sure its just too much pressure as they hooked up a gravity fed tank on the rollers and it was perfect. Going to splash out on an adjustable pressure regulator to try and improve things.

They're going to email us the curve as the printer wasnt working on the day. Apparently it wasnt worth revving past 10k and it was pulling really hard at 7-8k.

It brought up a list of things to look at though so it's going to be a busy few weeks between now and the airfield day!

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/6/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, big torque peak at 7k

Here's my VE (EFI fueling) table, which shows the same characteristic.

ve_table_gsxr1100_1000TBs
ve_table_gsxr1100_1000TBs

All GSXR1100 have the characteristic peak at 5k, then a dip, and then a second peak at 7k.

random gsxr1100 torque curves

Matt

phelpsa

posted on 20/6/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well it'll be interesting to see the torque curve when they send it through to compare it. They seemed to think it was as expected and there were no real problems once the dynojet kit was fitted.

Will post them up when I get them

ZEN

posted on 21/6/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Is that the air/oil cooled engine?

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

phelpsa

posted on 21/6/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZEN
Is that the air/oil cooled engine?

Mine is, Matt's is the watercooled version

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/6/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The previous link had torque curves for both, and they are pretty similar.

In actual fact the WP (water cooled version) is only incrementally different to the old oil/air versions. It retains the cooling fins (for example), and doesn't seem to mind too much when you run out of water (as I did when my water pump developed a massive leak).

Matt

ZEN

posted on 21/6/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Mine is, Matt's is the watercooled version

Interesting! I presumed that air/oil cooled bike engines where not suitable for a BEC.
Is your car for racing only?
How heavy is the engine?

phelpsa

posted on 21/6/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZEN

Interesting! I presumed that air/oil cooled bike engines where not suitable for a BEC.
Is your car for racing only?
How heavy is the engine?

They aren't really air cooled at all in the last models, they have a twin oil system (google SACS) which means you dont really need much airflow at all, just a massive oil cooler!

It is for racing only but i know of a few people who have installed GSXR and Bandit engines in road cars

The engine's not as light as modern bike engines, probably around the 75kg mark all in.

[Edited on 21-6-10 by phelpsa]

ZEN

posted on 21/6/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I already knew about SACS. That is why I wrote air/oil cooled.
I just thought that there is a grater need for fresh airflow. Got any photos of your oil cooler installed?

phelpsa

posted on 21/6/10 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
My point is more that they don't really require any more airflow than a watercooled bike engine, especially if you fit an oversized oil cooler, because the SACS system is so effective. The last GSXR models were entirely faired so they weren't getting much air to the engine at all.

Mocal oil cooler (about twice the capacity of the standard gixxer one):

Also has a fan on it.

It keeps it at a temperature of 72-73degC when sat idling and on 6 rolling road runs only reached a maximum of 79degC.

ZEN

posted on 21/6/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
How much oil does it take?

phelpsa

posted on 21/6/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZEN
How much oil does it take?

The oil cooler? About 3/4 of a litre more than the standard one, as thats how much extra I had to put in to get it to the max level Its the same surface area but twice as thick and with finer cooling fins.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.