Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT: close but no cigar
BenB

posted on 21/6/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
MOT: close but no cigar

Just got back from my first MOT in the Locost.
Fail

Still, wasn't all bad! Had a nice little rag their and back to remind me just how fun these cars are

They weren't sure what to do re emissions as the nice people at the DVLA had confused things by putting an emissions statement on my V5. I took along a copy of the MOT testing handbook where it quite clearly states a Q should be visable smoke. In the end we agreed we'd bung it on the machine and then decide what to do if it failed. And it passed Yey.

Except I had no brake lights. At all. A quick bridge of the hydraulic brake switch shows the switch is shagged.

So as soon as its replacement arrives I'm ready to rock for North Wield (after the obligatory blat to the test station to show my new fully functioning brakes. Annoyingly I checked all the other lights but couldn't easily check my brake lights with me sat in the car Oh well....

As an aside I think I might have found out why my diff appeared to be drinking oil. I went to top it up and it drank 3/4L whereas I'm sure I'd put in about the same amount when I first got it. It appears that's the problem. Apparantly the Sierra diff has an oil capacity of 1.5L and the dribble out the hole that I'd seen after the first 0.75L was (it appears) not a sign that it was full. Oh well you live and learn....

mcerd1

posted on 21/6/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Annoyingly I checked all the other lights but couldn't easily check my brake lights with me sat in the car Oh well....

you need to invest in a special tool to check your brake lights on your own - its a big weight that you stick on the pedal while you run round the back

-

BenB

posted on 21/6/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Annoyingly I checked all the other lights but couldn't easily check my brake lights with me sat in the car Oh well....

you need to invest in a special tool to check your brake lights on your own - its a big weight that you stick on the pedal while you run round the back

Annoyingly I forgot the trick I did last time of just using a long bit of wood (of which I have shed loads in the garage) to push down the brake pedal whilst standing behind the car. Oh well, it means I can go for another drive on Thursday with a valid excuse for not doing some DIY

flak monkey

posted on 21/6/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
MOT emissions on Q plates are a nightmare. I asked 2 local garages and they both gave different answers.

There was a update issued a while ago that says they should now be tested to the oldest of either the car or engine. But it seems to be applied a little hit and miss.

I should be taking mine for an MOT this week. Will see how it goes!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

omega 24 v6

posted on 21/6/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
My Q plate has emissions required values on the V5

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

alister667

posted on 21/6/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine V5 USED to have emissions limits on it, I moved recently and the new V5 doesn't have limits on it.

As stated above. Nightmare.

Still, you can always try moving house!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 21/6/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
Mine V5 USED to have emissions limits on it, I moved recently and the new V5 doesn't have limits on it.

As stated above. Nightmare.

Still, you can always try moving house!

Well it just so happens I'm about to send off my V5. Here's hoping

flak monkey

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Found what I was looking for:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000306.htm

Box in bottom right corner

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.