Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody on here into Lambrettas??
Jasper

posted on 25/6/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody on here into Lambrettas??

Firstly - all you who aren't can keep your clever comments to yourselves

So, I'm about to sell my newly restored Vespa PX and finally buy a Lambretta. I've wanted one for many years, but I'm finally at the stage where I can both afford one, have somewhere to keep it and don't need to use it for daily transport.

Trouble is, I don't know a huge amount about them and was after a few pointers on what to buy. I've got myself a book on them which has been helpful.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

coozer

posted on 25/6/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm not that well into them but I do appreciate your desire.

I would class myself as being a 'rocker' in them days but I see them around now and think they look quite cool.

Good luck, I hope you get the exact one your heart desires.

LG,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

3GEComponents

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you "dan saarf"?

An old friend of mine does a lot of scooter work, had a show winning Vespa a few years back, he's based just outside of chichester and would happily answer any questions, even source one for you if required.

Kind regards

John

Jasper

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Shoreham, only 20 minutes from Chichester.

This guys name isn't Simon is it? I met a guy recently who lives near Goodwood who does them up for a living, but he hasn't answered my text.

So yes, that would be really useful, thanks.

big_wasa

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Vespa T5 is a better bike Imho

Just wish I hadnt sold mine in protest at all the other guys turning up at meets in a car. As I cant afford another

But to answer your question.

Rust covered with an inch of filler for a start of. And you dont want a set of engine cassings that have been ported to death.

[Edited on 25/6/10 by big_wasa]

3GEComponents

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
His name's Marcus, I'll get in touch with him over the weekend and see what he's up to and let you know.

Kind regards

John

Jasper

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Vespa T5 is a better bike Imho

Just wish I hadnt sold mine in protest at all the other guys turning up at meets in a car. As I cant afford another

But to answer your question.

Rust covered with an inch of filler for a start of. And you dont want a set of engine cassings that have been ported to death.

[Edited on 25/6/10 by big_wasa]

I loved my old T5 too, spent 3 years hooning around central London on it. But now I'm after a bit of classic 1960's design

imp paul

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
lambys are the mutz nuts germans make some sweet engine parts for them eg water cooling and gear box parts good luckin geting a nice 1 gp200 are nice we have a scoot club near my home kirb side scooter club lots of meets
Jasper

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely more going on up North with scooters, but there's seems to be a club here in Brighton if it's still active.

splitrivet

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Used to have a SX200 bored to 225, dykes rings opened ports etc etc, Ancilloti box, Amal carb, happy happy days. Used to go like stink (ok ok for a scooter) but it couldnt keep up with a Vespa GS180 that had a similar treatment, but the Vespa was so goddamn ugly.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 25/6/10 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Jasper

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nice .... know what you mean on the old Vespa's, just not as good looking as a Lammy .... hence why I want one!

Fatgadget

posted on 25/6/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Firstly - all you who aren't can keep your clever comments to yourselves

So, I'm about to sell my newly restored Vespa PX and finally buy a Lambretta. I've wanted one for many years, but I'm finally at the stage where I can both afford one, have somewhere to keep it and don't need to use it for daily transport.

Trouble is, I don't know a huge amount about them and was after a few pointers on what to buy. I've got myself a book on them which has been helpful.

Good job you slipped in that caveat first!..I thought you was gonna talk about Poison Ivy!

big_wasa

posted on 25/6/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a S3 Li150
Fozzie

posted on 25/6/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooo takes me and DLT back some ......

We woz there! .... (Quadrophenia days) ...

Both had Lambies, mine was an old'un (LD), never did get it on the road proper....

DLT had a LI150, all of our mates had Lambies too, all different models....

Best advice is to get one with biggest engine that you can, so it would be an SX (200), or the latest one of that era which was the GP, but was not a 'looker'......therefore not that popular......

Having said all of that, DLT's LI 150 used to do a fair few trips...so depends what/where you will be using/going .....

Fozzie

[Edited on 25-6-10 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

dave107

posted on 25/6/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Lambrettas those were the days, best fun i had on a bike maybe because i was only 17-18, racing round Sevenoaks and up into Lewisham and Brixton.

Mine was an SX200 with 35mm Dellorto carb blowing petrol out the trumpet through the side panel but it went like stink well it seemed like it did.

One mate had a GP200 chopped and my other mate had an LI150.

Go for it they are great.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps

I don't think my budget will stretch to a SX200 or a TV175, so may well be an Li150 with a 200cc engine ....

Not a big fan of the GP looks, prefer the older styles, it needs to be able to sit at 60mph as I want to be able to ride it to work.

Now to get obsessed with Ebay

02GF74

posted on 26/6/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Cheers chaps

Not a big fan of the GP looks, prefer the older styles, it needs to be able to sit at 60mph as I want to be able to ride it to work.

Offer the AA mand a coupla quid and I''m sure he'd oblige

Peteff

posted on 26/6/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a LD 150 and a TV 175 as a lad then I discovered Hondas A bloke brought a Lambretta into the shop today while I was there for a cuppa. It was an old G reg SX200 bored out to 225 with carbon fibre side panels, running boards and a disk front brake conversion very trick and worth a fortune. He also has an old Li150 with a Yamaha 450 4 stroke engine and it sounds completely wrong. If you want one that will do 60 all day get ready for some bills

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.