Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Need straight 6 advice
Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Need straight 6 advice

Hello all! I kinda decided to go for a haynes roadster and a sierra donor but then my Nissan stagea was written off by a girl and a wasp.... anyhow end result i now have build cash and a bought back Stagea (Ł120!) I have ripped the engine out (Skyline RB25DET) and plan to use it in a 7 type build.
I have a problem as the haynes really does not allow me to fit it in also to get it in would involve a engine bay stretch of around 5 inches. This is no big deal but to look right i would have to make the engine bay taller and maby add some more width... then rework all the sierra stuff. So im thinking i might have to rethink the gibbs plans. The engine is around 30inches from back of block to front of pully so add a inch for extra space between engine and tunnel and a couple of inches at the front for access so lets say 33-34inches needed. Also the hight is going to be a issue.
Anyhow What do you lot think would be the best chassis plans i was thinking of a McSorley442E.pdf or a Collins.pdf?
I cant for the life of me find a picture of the collins complete. Also one of the other things i want to keep in mind is using standard locost parts ie wishbones ect.

Rb25det with 4x4 auto box atm. Will be chaning to 5spd rwd box

gottabedone

posted on 27/6/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Wow that's a beast

Have a nose around the Luego part of the forum as the Viento may suit you

Steve

RichardK

posted on 27/6/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Think I'd be looking at a viento chassis to get that bad boy in

Will be a lovely car when finished though.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 27/6/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Mate,

Heres the collins Chassis.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to be rude to the viento people but i dont realy like how they look, I duno what it is but it just seems a little off. Maby its just me.

The collins does look good but im unsure of the front wishbone setup and the fact its 1 inch less in hight compared to the 442e. Some pages say in the notes the collins is a 341 and other pages say 241. But when you measure the length of the main chassis(B1 - Front) the 442e is 96.9inches and the collins 3/421 is a total of 100.75 inches.

[Edited on 27/6/10 by Eternal]

franky

posted on 27/6/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
the gkd legend 6 should fit that in, it'll be tight though.
Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Not a bad idea but i dont know of the gearbox would fit. Its 1250quid for the chassis by itself then might have to cut the hole thing up. Not exactly locost rofl. Dont suppose anyone has done a +642 before? heh

Here is the engine waiting for the rb26dett plenum. Should save some hight that way as well.

franky

posted on 27/6/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
the m3 gearbox is quite wide, I'll have a measure when i'm home in a week or so if its of any help?

The bonus is you can use the bmw running gear which is designed to have larger bhp and torque pushed through it.

cheaper too!

Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Humm think what i might do to keep the costs down is take the haynes roadster and maby add a couple of inches to the engine bay and maby a inch to the hight. But keep all the wishbones the same. But upgrade the 7inch dif to a 7,5 instead. That should be ok i think. Im on both forums so can pick everyones gray matter
speedyxjs

posted on 27/6/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis is a +862 compared to locost and houses my s6 quite nicely.

Car is 2" wider but 8" wider at the nose, 2" taller and 6" longer in the engine bay.

[Edited on 27-6-10 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
wow you must have a massive nosecone! Any chance you can link me to any other pictures you have? would be great to steal... sorry borrow some ideas!

speedyxjs

posted on 27/6/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eternal
wow you must have a massive nosecone! Any chance you can link me to any other pictures you have? would be great to steal... sorry borrow some ideas!

Sure. There are some early pics/vids here. If you need to know anything, just send me a message

James

posted on 27/6/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon that'd fit in my chassis pretty easily.

I just lengthened every tube by 10%! This gave me a car in scale atleast to a Locost but with the opportunity for big engines.

I widened the entrance to the tunnel a fair bit and got the engine all the way back against the bulkhead and I reckon I could fit another Pinto in front of the current one!

By making it 10% bigger I could use standard off the shelf GRP too: a +4" scuttle but a normal nosecone just set 1" or so further forwards (remember the chassis tapers at the front). THis also means the front wishbones are standard (for a Sierra track-sized car) because all I had to do was set the wishbone brackets inboard a little bit. (0.9" IIRC).

The rear wishbone brackets were also kept in the same place.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jacko

posted on 27/6/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
The skyline gearbox is very long

Are you using the rear axle i don't think the sierra axle will take the power

[Edited on 27/6/10 by jacko]
skyline gearbox
skyline gearbox

rear axle
rear axle

[Edited on 27/6/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Eternal

posted on 27/6/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Will be using a cossy 7.5inch dif I think. Should take the torque ok.

I can pos use the stagea rear dif but I don't know if the ratio is ok as it's originally ment to be 4x4 setup

Eternal

posted on 29/6/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well i think the ideal diff is the 4.11 skyline gtst diff. Would have to get a pair of gtst drive shafts and blend them into the sierra ones but thats not much of a big deal i think...?

(r34 gtr dif but same size)
only other problem i can see is mounting it the front bush holes look like it will get in the way a bit. any ideas?

[Edited on 29/6/10 by Eternal]

Eternal

posted on 28/7/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well here is a little update for anyone who cares Lots of pics! sorry for the bandwidth! Oh i just noticed it was 1 month from when i started this thread! not bad i guess! Also i will be using granada rear dif hubs and breaks. And a 3.64 lds diff Will give more top speed but i did not want too much acceleration as i think it will not be able to put it down.

[Edited on 28/7/10 by Eternal]

PuppiesBalls

posted on 2/8/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thats awesome!! Those Rb's are such awesome engines! Im running a mini rb (CA18) and that is terrifying! your a braver man then me
speedyxjs

posted on 14/8/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great! Keep us updated

jacko

posted on 29/1/14 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to drag this old post up
Did this car ever get finished and put on the road ?
anyone know what happened to it
Jacko

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/2/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The gent building it is in Bristol, and on the Bristol Kit Cars Club forum - unfortunately there has been no update for a long old time now

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

ashg

posted on 6/2/14 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
http://haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4468

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 7/2/14 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Nicely found, good man! Very interesting to me as I'm doing something similar

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

turbo77

posted on 19/2/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nice

I put BMW 2500 in line 6 in 442 chassi. It is tight but it is in. I am done with mokup naw teh engine is geting out and in to rebuild and chassi is to be finish with welding and flor.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.