Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rip off rant
MikeR

posted on 7/7/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rip off rant

Not a happy bunny.

I'm getting my boiler replaced and relocated + whilst there is a spark in a couple of sockets added.

Got a QUOTE from a few companies and went with not the cheapest but the one with a decent reputation and qualified to install the boiler i'm going for (And therefore i get a 5 year warranty).

Paid the deposit and agreed an install date. Week later the electrician calls, he'd like to view the site. Comes in and says - you need a new fuse board, its an extra 160 to bodge it or 330 for a new fuse board.

Errrm........... I've got a QUOTE, not an estimate.

Surely the gas company have to cough up and pay this after they gave me a quote and i paid the deposit.

BenB

posted on 7/7/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. A quote is a quote- they can't know change it. Although it does depend what they quote you for. Have you got it in writing. It might well have a wiggle room clause.

It's for reasons like this that when you ask someone for a quote you really need to specify (to the last details) what you expect so they don't try and wiggle out of it.

A1

posted on 7/7/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
yep, a quote is definite. If it was an estimate they can change it.
MikeR

posted on 7/7/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
ignore rant .......

despite asking for a quote, despite being told i was getting a quote, on the bottom of the letter, beneath the company address and VAT number there is the line,

"this estimate is valid for 30 days from the date given" ........

GITS! why can't you trust anyone these days

breezy

posted on 7/7/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
When you are getting any type of home repair and are dealing with a contractor it is very important to set the rules down. One of those rules is that they provide a written estimate on the work that you are having done.

You want this for many reasons, an estimate has a spot on the bottom of it authorizing the company to go ahead and do the work. This is now a contract and both parties have to abide by it. Basically, the contractor has to complete the work that is estimated but they have to do it within the estimate.

If a contractor gives a home-owner an estimate of say an estimate of £ 2000 for a window replacement and when the job is complete the final actual cost of the window replacement comes to £ 2800. Now the home-owner is upset and refuses to pay the installer because they went above and beyond what the estimate said.

Which in any normal circumstance is ok, only if they have put the additional costs in writing and made sure that the home-owner sees it and agrees to it. That way a situation like this won’t happen.

You've turned into your dad the day you put aside a thin piece of
wood specifically to stir paint with.

richardlee237

posted on 7/7/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
ah, the old, new consumer unit ploy !!

Ask him for a price breakdown.

The consumer unit shoud be around 100 quid plus labour. If it takes him more than 2 hours to change he is extracting the liquid waste product.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

gottabedone

posted on 7/7/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
OK, he gave you an estimate not a quote BUT you shouldn't have to look at the small print burried at the bottom to know whether it's a quote or an estimate!

Either way you may have to get the board changed but his business ethics are a bit questionable (as said above that old "quote or estimate" chestnut)

Steve

Liam

posted on 7/7/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why you would need a new 'fuse board' for the alterations you're planning. Ask why it is needed.

If it's because your existing one has no RCD protection, you could add this just for the new alterations (possibly the cheaper 'bodge' option he suggetss) but really it's in your own best interests to have the CU replaced anyway imho.

Only a cowboy would get a CU swap done in 2 hours as richardlee237 suggests by not bothering to properly test existing circuits beforehand. If there are any problems with existing circuits you'll then be left with nuisance tripping RCDs and face having to pay for his fault finding. Proper spark should test existing before installing a new CU with RCDs to identify any potential problems before you waste your money. £330 is cheap for a proper CU swap with testing - but do make sure it will be a proper CU swap. Make sure the spark is registered with a scheme (eg niceic) and that you will get your installation certificate and that building control will be notified of the work through his scheme.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ernie

posted on 7/7/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto as Liam!!
JoelP

posted on 7/7/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
double ditto! I was going to say you cant state a price without knowing how many circuits, but £250 to £400 is more like it for a proper job. And not two hours with testing.

You certainly dont need a new board to get a boiler in. You would at worst have to have your earthing sorted (which can actually be earthed anywhere if necessary) and an inline rcd on the circuit powering the boiler.

[Edited on 7/7/10 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.