Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hosepipe ban!
Colnago_Man

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hosepipe ban!

Great! Despite living in the wettest part of the country we have now have a hose pipe ban from 6am tommorow morning for an indefinte period.

So tonight I'll be washing three cars and watering the gardens, as will no doubt half the town.

Bizarely if you are disabled then you are excluded from the ban, not entirely sure on the logic on that one...

My mates house was under 3 foot of water last October due to the amount of rain, funny thing nature...

[Edited on 8/7/10 by Colnago_Man]

thunderace

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
yes very unfair ,i have never heard of a hosepipe ban in london ever but i have been told ,i dont know if its true or not but they drink there p!ss water up to 9 times before it goes to the sea thats why i will never drink the water out a tap in england.:
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its because of this country's total lack of understanding regarding drainage and dams.....

The other thing is your private water quangos sold off lots of the small ones .....cause they cost to much

theconrodkid

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
we have had bans down here before.
i drive over the cart tracks we use as roads and see puddles everywhere where a main has burst but never repaired,anyhow it,s a good excuse for not washing my fleet

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Guinness

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
If I was you, I'd be buying / fitting a couple of water butts and filling them up tonight

We have two water butts on our downpipes, only 11 gallon slimline ones, but they can go from empty to full in about half an hour of decent rain. Well worth the while, if your water is metered, or you live in an area with restrictions.

Mike

David Jenkins

posted on 8/7/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I live in East Anglia, which geographically categorised as "semi-desert" (around 20 inches of rain per annum). We rarely get hosepipe bans, possibly because we try very hard to keep hold of the water we've got and not waste it in leaks, etc.

It always amazes me to hear about places like Yorkshire and Wales having hosepipe bans - it never stops raining in those places!

(as this Welshman ducks below the parapet... "incoming!" )

smart51

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is that we haven't had much rain for months and the reservoirs are running low. We haven't built any reservoirs in decades - in fact we've filled in a few. The population has gone up and we wonder why we run short of water when we get a dry spell. Mind you, can you imagine the fuss that NIMBYs would raise if the council put in a planning application to build a reservoir? Actually, ask the people of Oxfordshire, there's a plan on the go there.

plantman

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Oooo here we go again

I,ve got a mate who did the water quality for south staffs water, he told me that most of our water come from bored holes 70%plus, obviously there is no way the few resevoirs can supply all the people in the uk

Bore holes are cheap clean and the ground water stays fairly constant The rain/rivers fill the rocks up first.

anyway he said that there is loads of water but what it is the water companies have deals with big companies to supply water.

so to make sure they can meet these commitments they stop us from using it.

Oh and he told me of a meeting they had a few years ago when they were short of water and the decided to pump some more!!!

4kms from me severn trent have 3 bores holes that can do over 1 million gallons a day they use it to top up the severn!!!

Water shortage NOOO they just don't want joe pubic to have it

Ninehigh

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
When someone can explain to me how an ISLAND can run out of water then I'll stick to a hosepipe ban. I can understand the water not being entirely drinkable in dry conditions but we're surrounded by it.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Most people in Cornwall pay about £1000-£1600 pa in water bills, if our French owned reservoirs run low, I expect naked parisian virgins to be emptying half litre bottles of Evian into the system until it is full again.

froggy b@stards taking the pi$$ as usual

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

coozer

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1KL IBC in the garden that fills up real quick off the garage roof, in fact I tend to empty over 700L of it out every year.

My next plan is to run it up to the bog so I'm not paying for water to wash the sh1t and pi55 away

My water comes from a bore hole next to the Aston garage on the A690 which I expect is brimming since they stopped pumping the mine water.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jase380

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Most people in Cornwall pay about £1000-£1600 pa in water bills, if our French owned reservoirs run low, I expect naked parisian virgins to be emptying half litre bottles of Evian into the system until it is full again.

froggy b@stards taking the pi$$ as usual

Wise words !!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
When someone can explain to me how an ISLAND can run out of water then I'll stick to a hosepipe ban. I can understand the water not being entirely drinkable in dry conditions but we're surrounded by it.

Have you tried drinking sea water!

It's also astonishingly expensive (and consumes much power) to desalinate it so that it's drinkable.

smart51

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
When someone can explain to me how an ISLAND can run out of water then I'll stick to a hosepipe ban.

We're running out of DRINKABLE water. If you want to drink sea water, go right ahead. we have too much of that.

You can desalinate sea water but it takes VAST amounts of electricity and even then the water tastes like a swimming pool. Not only does the electricity make the water very expensive but we are on the verge of an electricity shortage too.

drhunter

posted on 8/7/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
If I was you, I'd be buying / fitting a couple of water butts and filling them up tonight

Didn't an MP or similar skirt the London ban of previous years by filling a water butt from the mains, then using a hose from the water butt to water his garden.

I have a 100L slimline but need another as I can empty it in a couple of days. They do fill up extremely quickly, even with only light rainfall.

Ninehigh

posted on 9/7/10 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

Have you tried drinking sea water!

It's also astonishingly expensive (and consumes much power) to desalinate it so that it's drinkable.

Well yeah that's why I said I can handle it not being entirely drinkable, I could deal with having to buy bottled water for a few months

Peteff

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Mind you, can you imagine the fuss that NIMBYs would raise if the council put in a planning application to build a reservoir? Actually, ask the people of Oxfordshire, there's a plan on the go there.

They don't build reservoirs, they build dams to create reservoirs. If there was as much money in water as there is in oil they'd soon find ways to store a lot more of it. Go to Papplewick pumping station and look at the architecture of the now empty underground reservoir, it's like a cathedral and was built entirely in brick then covered over to prevent loss.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Where's that Pete? Sounds really interesting (in a geeky kind of way I know!).
MikeR

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
i was just thinking the same
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just answered my own question.
It Nottingham here.
Have a look at reservoir 1 and 2 pictures. Awsome pieces of work.
Here's one.

MikeR

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
i'd just googled it and found that as well .....
smart51

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Here's an idea. Make the water companies (who make profits from supplying water) legally responsible for maintaining supplies and building the infrastructure to do so. If they want to introduce demand reducing measures such as hose pipe bans, let them but fine them per day per person affected. Lets see if they'd rather spend the money on infrastructure. A bit of weather isn't an excuse for water shortages.

Like the idea? Write to your MP. That's what they're there for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.