Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb balance OK?
40inches

posted on 9/7/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Carb balance OK?

Just trying to balance carbs, do these readings look OK? Balance was done at 2000rpm without air filter, still feels a bit rough at constant throttle, but should be better after mixture has been set.
Big thanks to RichardK for the loan of the Carbtune
At tick over (1000rpm)

At 2000rpm

OX

posted on 9/7/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
yeah looks ok,could be a little better tho but saying that mercury gauges are so temperamental ,you've only to rest your screw driver on the adjuster and the gauges move miles,,you could spend another 10 minutes trying to get it spot on and then 10 miles down the road and after the throttles have been hard against its stop it will probably be slightly out again.
what i used to do was once id got them something like ,turn the engine off ,open the throttle against its stop a few times and then start again

thunderace

posted on 9/7/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
try colortune that will help a lot.

[Edited on 9/7/10 by thunderace]

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Once you have set the idle mixture (I assume we are talking carbs here) then it is worth doing the balance thing again.

I don't have the gauges that you have (I have cheaper pressure gauge ones), but you should be able to set them to be perfect.

The throttle blipping thing is worthwhile too, as otherwise they sometimes don't seat properly.

Practice is king with this.

Matt

40inches

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps The plan is to get the balance as near as possible, set the mixture with a Colourtune, reset balance and recheck mixture with Colourtune.
The problem is that I can't get to the mixture screws with air filter in place, so will have to set mixture a bit weak then recheck with filter on, a bit of a bum ache

RichardK

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with your plan mate, and you're welcome mate!

Take care

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 10/7/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
filters will not affect this. You can blow through them, they don't really affect the air flow.

I like your plan.

Its a warm job in this weather.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.