Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: top gear vehicles
pdm

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
top gear vehicles

So has anyone ever seen Top Gear on the road with their crazy vehicles ?

Must be someone - wonder how many accidents they cause with people laughing themselves to the scene of the accident !!

adrianreeve

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the amphibious vehices going down the A2 a few years ago!
StevieB

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
My mum let clarkson out of a junction a few months ago in sheffield - he was in the reliant (right way up though)
adithorp

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm just getting old but... Where do they stand legally if something flys off and causes an accident (or kills someone)?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I was thinking!

It's Evolution Baby!

pdm

posted on 18/7/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Me and the missus were saying same thing about Clarkson's skyscraper tonight - especially on the single track road they were on.

Kudos for the spots so far !!

carpmart

posted on 18/7/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
me and the wife were thinking exactly the same!

Bloody dangerous!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

JoelP

posted on 18/7/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
well thats 2 episodes ive missed now

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

clairetoo

posted on 18/7/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think any of us could put any of their `specials' on the road though - how do they do it ? ? ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

StevieB

posted on 18/7/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I can't imagine the BBC would have them running around in illegal vehicles, despite the image the programme portrays - I think an awful lot of the time the roads are closed for filming.

For example, last week when they were 'driving through london when it was really quiet' in the super saloons, you could see the blue lights of the coppers holding back traffic reflecting off the tunnel walls in the background.

iank

posted on 18/7/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tonight's program didn't do them any favours.

At least on most of the challenges you can believe it's real as the stuff could have happened. That one was so obviously set up at numerous points it lost all pretence at anything that actually happened outside the script.

Poor effort.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 18/7/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Agree'd normally, but in this case explain the driving down a packed motorway. Or the driving up the M6 in the amphibious car stunt (Clarkson in a Toyboata with no suspension).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/7/10 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
well thats 2 episodes ive missed now

just watch them on iplayer or streetfire

speedyxjs

posted on 19/7/10 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
I saw the three of them going down the A27 a few years ago in the supercars they took to france. It looked really strange going at just 70

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

vinny1275

posted on 19/7/10 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
There was a post on PH a while back about the Lotus Espirit - James had bought it off an advert off there I think, and someone saw it parked up in Cornwall. I think they're just trying to be more and more mad as they go along - I read an interview with the TG director a while back, and he was saying that most people recognise a load of it is put on - like Clarkson's block of flats falling over, but them conveniently having a crane handy...

Having said that, I was literally in tears watching the robin episode....

StevieB

posted on 19/7/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think there's a certain amount of the scripted joks that I find amusing (such as the convenient fire in the background last night as Clarkson was talking), because they're obviously put in there for amusement only.

It's when they cobble together a 'stunt' that they then try to pass off as unscripted that I think is just getting a bit boring now.

Irony

posted on 19/7/10 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I think there's a certain amount of the scripted joks that I find amusing (such as the convenient fire in the background last night as Clarkson was talking), because they're obviously put in there for amusement only.

It's when they cobble together a 'stunt' that they then try to pass off as unscripted that I think is just getting a bit boring now.

I agree. Nobody as successful as those three can be so dumb. Its resorting to plain buffoonary. That whole falling over thing just wasn't that funny. I did however think that bit at the end with Clarkson going 'whats that then?' was amusing.

Miks15

posted on 19/7/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:

I agree. Nobody as successful as those three can be so dumb. Its resorting to plain buffoonary. That whole falling over thing just wasn't that funny. I did however think that bit at the end with Clarkson going 'whats that then?' was amusing.

yes although he was rather conviently placed in front of the camera wasnt he?

its gettin SOOO predictable... but i still find it hilarious!

[Edited on 19/7/10 by Miks15]

scootz

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it does need a shake-up... badly!

The current format was fresh ten years ago and the more subtle 'madness' of yesteryear really worked for me. It used to be compulsive viewing and I thought those three guys had the best 'jobs' in the world! How things can change...

Why they've decided that it must consist of 100% slapstick stupidity with cars as a mere backdrop is just beyond me. The balance is just waaaaay out of kilter.

They seem to know it as well. In this series they've been peppering the program with the word 'serious' every now and then... then they go on to do something stupid under the guise of 'seriousness'. Some of the grumbles must be getting through, but they are choosing to fight them... bad idea in my book as once the British tide turns on you, then you've had it!

Other shows do slapstick better... MUCH better! Get back to your roots and stop embarrassing yourselves!

May will survive... Clarkson's jacket is hanging on a shaky hook, but it could be mended... Hammond is just a first-class irritation and further makes me want to change the channel.

It's Evolution Baby!

phelpsa

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

For example, last week when they were 'driving through london when it was really quiet' in the super saloons, you could see the blue lights of the coppers holding back traffic reflecting off the tunnel walls in the background.

It was really quiet... it was 5am on a Sunday morning! A few of us from Retro-Rides happened to have the same idea, and they followed us for a while. We then saw their camera set up for the part where the 3 cars come around the corner side by side so parked up and watched them go past.

The roads certainly weren't closed, however the police were there keeping an eye on things

See this months Retro Cars magazine for the write up of our 'Dawn Drive'!

[Edited on 19-7-10 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy D

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
So has anyone ever seen Top Gear on the road with their crazy vehicles ?

Must be someone - wonder how many accidents they cause with people laughing themselves to the scene of the accident !!

Top gear spotted vid

..'course that could be a set up too..

Ninehigh

posted on 20/7/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I was surprised to find TG under "Factual" and not "Entertainment and Comedy" when I looked on iplayer.

Seriously I went for the comedy section first

dlatch

posted on 20/7/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
they still make me laugh every episode but the "oh look its fallen of a cliff" bit is very old now also where is the amazing serious arty shot bits gone? that was also another side of the show which seems to have been dropped in favour of the usual stunts.

the robin bit the other week was wee your pants funny though but when they blow up a caravan ect .......... yawn

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 20/7/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Good point... I used to love the camera effects and angles they used to do.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.