Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flipping vosa, jobsworth douchebags.
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
flipping vosa, jobsworth douchebags.

I cant get my car through IVA without getting it past the CAT emissions test.

Depite it being a pre-95 engine (confirmed by haynes) the guy wont test it to NON-CAT standards without documentary evidence that the engine with that SPECIFIC engine number was produced prior to august 1995.

I've got a little over a month to get it passed and no money to make any major modifications.

I have not had one moment of enjoyment out of this bleeping car. its taken twice as long and twice as much money as it should have done and all its given me is problems.

sorry for the title, didnt realise filtering didnt work on the subject lines.

[Edited on 19/7/10 by cd.thomson]

Craig

speedyxjs

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
What engine is it?

Send a letter/email to the manufacturer stating the engine number and they will send a letter stating the date and probably time the engine/car was built.

[Edited on 19-7-10 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

edspurrier

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
ford happily supplied me with a letter confirming engine age.
Surrey Dave

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
This is a family site?

All very frustrating I'm sure but it doesn't excuse the x rated title on this thread.
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
What engine is it?

Send a letter/email to the manufacturer stating the engine number and they will send a letter stating the date and probably time the engine/car was built.

[Edited on 19-7-10 by speedyxjs]

Vauxhall C20XE, and not unless I attach a nice £100 cheque with it - with no guarantee they'll find anything.

I've also tried autodata and can't find any matches.

I'm completely done with the whole endeavour. I honestly wish I could go home and the car and everything to do with it have disappeared.

Craig

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
All very frustrating I'm sure but it doesn't excuse the x rated title on this thread.

Alright softlad, I've changed it now.

Craig

Davegtst

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
It's a Vauxhall lump, i doubt Ford will help.
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Basically after 2 years of building I'm sitting on a £9k method of getting quickly from one end of my 20ft drive to the other.

Read above, I need to spend an imaginary £100 on a non-guaranteed letter from vauxhall which can take up to 4 weeks to arrive.

Craig

Benzine

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Tried to strong arm £100 from my old man until I read the email that I got back from vauxhall.

They'll only produce me a letter if I can give documentary evidence of purchase (i.e. a receipt/invoice), which I can't.

So my only option is to replace my exhaust with one with a cat fitted, which I can neither afford or have the time to do.

Urgh. I'm going to sit on it for the time being but I'll be selling it unregistered if it's not sorted by Sept 14th.

What a great endeavour.

Craig

coozer

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Craig, I understand your frustration but it is the builders responsibility to confirm engine age. Its stated clearly in the SVA/IVA manual.

Blaming them ain't going to get you a MAC.

So, its either a letter proofing engine age or a fitted CAT that will pass the more stringent emissions.

*Call for help!*

Is there not a Vauxhaul owners club or other resource that can help, any Opel organisation in Europe, or, any Vauxhaul/Opel engineers here who can help?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

BenB

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Tried to strong arm £100 from my old man until I read the email that I got back from vauxhall.

They'll only produce me a letter if I can give documentary evidence of purchase (i.e. a receipt/invoice), which I can't.

So my only option is to replace my exhaust with one with a cat fitted, which I can neither afford or have the time to do.

Urgh. I'm going to sit on it for the time being but I'll be selling it unregistered if it's not sorted by Sept 14th.

What a great endeavour.

So you need an invoice from a scrapyard for an engine. Shouldn't be too difficult!

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
all well and good if a significant number of XE engined cars hadn't passed emissions and been given a MAC based on the information from haynes.

Simple fact of the matter is that I can't get a letter and I can't replace the exhaust. So where does that leave me?

Flat on my face at the final hurdle, £4-5K down even after I resell the car and two years of sweat and tears with no significant pay off.

"Its all your fault" is hardly constructive.

Craig

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

What a great endeavour.

So you need an invoice from a scrapyard for an engine. Shouldn't be too difficult!

You'd think, but I tried this method first (get an invoice implicating car age). I contacted 3 local scrappys near me, all promised me a letter, all never to be heard from again.

Same for a couple of members on here.

I don't blame them, as its an illicit activity, but it just removes that option.

Craig

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
There is a sollution

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/328856-official-engine-age-proof-sva-needed.html

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
There is a sollution

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/328856-official-engine-age-proof-sva-needed.html

I'm already in touch with Jonathon, he won't touch it without an engine receipt though.

Craig

Agriv8

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

What a great endeavour.

My thought a letter for a 'Freind' / 'Farther' stating that he sold you the engine date cost ect should be Ok shouldnt it. on the event they do case it up ( VERY VERY unlikley. 'Bought a job lot of XE parts and this came with it ? '

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
There is a sollution

I'm already in touch with Jonathon, he won't touch it without an engine receipt though.

What about autodata?

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
There is a sollution

What about autodata?

Can't find any matches apart from the XE wasn't produced after 1995.

Craig

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't there someone here with an XE and a letter that he could lent you the engine for the test?
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
the tester wants documentation that links my specific engine number to a specific date so that'd be no good, hes a nightmare. Its like talking to a robot. He has absolutely no flexibility or discression.

From everything I've read hes got to be the worst examiner I've heard of.

Craig

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
doesn't vauxhall have a program like Dialogys from Renault?
MikeR

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
i'm not going to suggest that someone else with a letter scans it in, changes the engine number and sends it to you.

That would probably be against the rules, but i'm sure someone else may have an idea that isn't against the rules.

BenB

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i'm not going to suggest that someone else with a letter scans it in, changes the engine number and sends it to you.

That would probably be against the rules, but i'm sure someone else may have an idea that isn't against the rules.

To be honest when someone is being so anal in terms of interpreting the rules I think it's limbs that need breaking not rules

thunderace

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
i would have just faked a letter from vauxhall
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.