Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Question
maskell01

posted on 22/7/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Question

How early can i MOT a car and still get it back dated, such as the 13 month rule?

dhutch

posted on 22/7/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maskell01
How early can i MOT a car and still get it back dated, such as the 13 month rule?

It says on the mot cert, but off the top of my head i believe its a month.

RAYLEE29

posted on 22/7/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
think its a calendar month to preserve date but you can get it earlier if your not worried about keeping the date but would prob only run for 12 months then.
Ray

GeoffT

posted on 22/7/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

think its a calendar month to preserve date but you can get it earlier if your not worried about keeping the date but would prob only run for 12 months then.

This has kinda got me thinking - if you present the car for MOT say a fortnight before the due date, and it fails, does the previous MOT cert still cover you for the remaining fortnight, or is it immediately legally unroadworthy...?

[Edited on 22/7/10 by GeoffT]

COREdevelopments

posted on 22/7/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
yes it does. you will still be covered. the old mot is still valid. silly or what?
But it does not mean your car is legally roadworthy.
Rob

[Edited on 22/7/10 by COREdevelopments]

maskell01

posted on 22/7/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
yeah the car is still MOTed but i was just being prepared and was wondering if i would "loose" any of the existing MOT!

dhutch

posted on 22/7/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
yes it does. you will still be covered. the old mot is still valid. silly or what?
Well its sort of silly, yes. But given it proberbly been like for the last 3months, whats another week? You have to do something. If its a veichal that you need to use seamlessly you need to be able to use it.

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/7/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This has kinda got me thinking - if you present the car for MOT say a fortnight before the due date, and it fails, does the previous MOT cert still cover you for the remaining fortnight, or is it immediately legally unroadworthy...?

I believe this to be false.
the mot tester has to log on to the central vosa computer to carry out an MOT if it fails then it is NOT ROADWORTHY. at that point the computer will show it up as having no MOT ( tried this when my daughters failed with 2 weeks left on the old cert).
No Mot no Insurance and a chance of ANPR it is just not worth it IMHO

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/7/10 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Afraid your car will no longer be covered by it's old MOT , the regulations changed fairly recently
iank

posted on 23/7/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think when they introduced the computer system they kept the original regulations (no way to check MOT beyond a certificate and you had one of those) to keep things simple for users.

Sounds like they've now changed to fit in with common sense.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

GeoffT

posted on 23/7/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Afraid your car will no longer be covered by it's old MOT , the regulations changed fairly recently

This creates other problems it would seem - if the vehicle fails, it's not possible to arrange any continuity of use of the vehicle, a real pain if it's in daily use with your company.

Also you can't even legally drive it back home from the MOT centre....

scudderfish

posted on 23/7/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Also you can't even legally drive it back home from the MOT centre....

You can drive to and from a prebooked MOT without a valid MOT, so even if it fails you can take it home to do remedial work. The exception is if the MOT examiner thinks your car is dangerous (no brakes) then they can impound it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.