Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - ebay advice
pdm

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
OT - ebay advice

hi

I've got a few bits on ebay at the moment - all end in about 4 or 5 days.

Anyway, one item had 4 watchers but no bids on it. Today a chap messages me asks a few questions over the course of the day and then tonight asked him if he wanted them would he want a Buy It Now added.

Bit of haggling later and we agree on a price - I go onto ebay and put a Buy It Now on and confirm back to him.

Meantime someone else - presumably one of the other watchers - nips in and buys it !!

Has the first chap got any grounds to make a complaint ? It seems ebay allow you to add a buy It now if you have no bids....

thanks
Paul

carpmart

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Oops

Not too well orchestrated at the end then!

I'm afraid this is a case of sh*t happens!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mal

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Definately no. Its a competitive market place. He should have been looking like a hawk!
Liam

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same happened to my wife recently with a phone. All you can really do is be apologetic to the unlucky buyer. All he can do is call you a c**k by email. Might have been a better idea to get him to put a bid on then end the auction early to sell to highest bidder. Could have reduced your fees too .
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdm

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks - good idea re ending the auction early - I'll try that next time. I seem to get loads of people who ask for Buy It Nows so maybe that's a safer way of doing things.

When I revise an item do all the watchers get a message then ?

StevieB

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
In such instances, it's best to stick a big BIN price on so deter others then discount when you send an ebay invoice to get down the the agreed price.
Liam

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

Not sure about that - maybe they do. That could explain it - in our case it was practically as soon as she set up the buy it now intended for someone else that the other buyer jumped in and grabbed it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdm

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

Not sure about that - maybe they do. That could explain it - in our case it was practically as soon as she set up the buy it now intended for someone else that the other buyer jumped in and grabbed it.

Same as me tonight - only took a minute or so !!

StevieB - that's another good idea. Might try that as well.

It's a right pain all in - I wish people would just stick bids in, in a way. Then again I can't complain as the stuff is selling slow but sure.

Thanks everyone

cheers
Paul

Liam

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
In such instances, it's best to stick a big BIN price on so deter others then discount when you send an ebay invoice to get down the the agreed price.

Does that not set your fees at 10% of the BIN price, though? Or will they be based on your discounted price?

l0rd

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
i was looking at a car cd player for a friend.

I had one in my watch list. I wasn't at home when it ended and didn't bid. Noone else bided as well so i emailed him and asked him if he would put a buy now price for me at the price of the auction that ended.

He agreed and I told him to call me when he listed it so i can buy it in a few seconds.

He didn't call me or anything, Just by luck, i checked my emails and he told me that he would list it as a buy now at 20.00pm

Lucky me, checked my emails at 20.01 and there it was. Bought it in a heartbeat.

Being really happy with the product, i started looking for one so i can get it for my future car in Greece.

Found one on another auction and ended £50 quid more than the one i got.

:O:O:O

[Edited on 27/7/10 by l0rd]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.