Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft support/ restraint
locost750mc

posted on 28/7/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Propshaft support/ restraint

Hi, I've been Reading up on the locost regs and have noticed it sais that a propshaft support or restraint must be fitted. What is this likely to consist of? Can anyone recomend ideas as to what they have done, photos would be a bonus.

Thanks.

[Edited on 28/7/10 by locost750mc]

blakep82

posted on 28/7/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
some sort of steel hoops down the tunnel would do it. either bend tube, or thick steel strips

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rick q

posted on 29/7/10 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the rules are over there. Mine uses two steel hoops bolted in place - so you can still get the propshaft out easily.

Here's a photo after the propshaft failed. Note the steel tube on the right hand side that's been flattened by the flailing propshaft. I'm glad that tube was there - it holds all the fuel lines and wiring. Without it, the result might have been severed fuel lines and sparking electrics right beside my hip!

mcerd1

posted on 29/7/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
you'll need one hoop near each end of the shaft, the best ones are circular and only a little bigger than the diamiter of the shaft (just big enough that they should never touch the shaft unless the shaft breaks)
that way they should be able to stop the shaft flailing and damaging the rest of the car or your legs

you don't have to fit them on a road car, but they are a very simple, cheap, light weight saftey device - so well worth a little effort to make them

[Edited on 29/7/2010 by mcerd1]

-

procomp

posted on 29/7/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

These are FIA/MSA regulations for all cars running propshafts. as mentioned above what is needed is a loop of steel usually made of 25mm x 3 or 5 mm that surounds the propshaft at either end and around 50mm in from the joints. Obviously this is then attached to the chassis in some form to locate the prop if there should be a failure.
This is how the majority of the kit cars in general have done it and is an accepted format for the scrutineers.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locost750mc

posted on 29/7/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
How long has this regulation been with us?, i noticed that in someones 2002 build noting the regulation there, so has it been with us for sometime, and is just getting more strict, the car i have was jayne darkes, which has previuosly been raced during 2008 season. Matt, if you could show me a photo? of how its done that would be much appriciated.

Thanks

procomp

posted on 29/7/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The regulation has been there for as long as i can remember in the blue book. How long have competitors taken any notice of it is a different matter. But if you ever see what happens when a prop lets go you will be rushing to fit them ASAP. Think the Locost regs made competitors more aware of it a few years ago when i noticed that our cars where the only Kit cars manufactured with them fitted as part of the kit and that no other locost had them fitted.

Ill see if i can find any pics of them on my lap top. currently unable to get to the comp in the workshop for about 1 week due to injuries.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ShaunB

posted on 30/10/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Matt - Did you ever find those restraint pictures? Mine's a Stuart Taylor chassis and certainly does not have the loops of flat bar that you describe, although there are boxes formed by the chassis rail that would prevent the prop being able to punch it's way out of the tunnel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.