Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: twin 40's
scottfulcher

posted on 31/5/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
twin 40's

a lad from college has offered me a set of twin 40's. he said they are set up for a golf 1800, and they will need to be fully reconed. they do not have any linkages and they do not come with a manifold. could someone tell me if this is a big job, and how much they are worth in this condition.
many thanks
scott

[Edited on 31/5/04 by scottfulcher]

fester

posted on 31/5/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
hello scott,
I reckon you should leave them well alone!
40's are going to be way too big for a standard 1300 x-flow,and they sound knackered anyway!
If your'e still in college,stick to the book build on the first one,learn from it and make the next one a beast!
Good luck with the build ,Fest.

Bob C

posted on 31/5/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have said 40s were way too big for a 1300 - there are plenty of mini's out there with 45s on.... Weber's chart for primary venturis says 1300 giving max power at 6000revs should have a 29mm main venturi, that's right in the ball park for a 40 [Pat Braden "weber carburetors" page 36]
Bob C

Avoneer

posted on 31/5/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would say 40's are fine as well, but you will probably have to buy new jets and chokes - could add up to £100 upwards just for parts. Carbs like this go for £80-£100 ish on ebay. May be better looking for some already jetted for a 1300???
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 1/6/04 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
Search on ebay, but do an international search, i know a couple of people who have bought carbs on ebay from someone called alfaman or something, in italy. They got good deals and the shippings not too much.
Scutter bought some off him, try u2u'ing him i'm sure he will have more details.

[Edited on 1/6/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

britishtrident

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
40 aren't too big for a 1300 --- they weren't to big for my Imp 988cc engines.. But for fitting to such a small engine the venturis will need changed as well as the jets -- big bucks.

Re carbs from scrap Alfas the emulsions tubes are wrong for Ford engines -- can be expensive to change also the jetting requires changes as a result --- even when dealing with carbs from engines of the same capcity.

Noodle

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
If they're knackered, they could be good candidates for DIY throttle bodies:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DIY%20FI%20-%201%20.jpg

and

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DIY%20FI%20-2%20.jpg

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

barrie sharp

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Scott there a lot involved in fitting twin 40s much easier to stay standard for the first build (imo)
to give you an idea my carbs were free from an alfa and my rebuild and rejetting costs are £240 and i have still got to go to a rolling road to set them up!
good luck with your build

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.