Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust-less?
PSpirine

posted on 30/7/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust-less?

As the plan is still hopefully to use a turbocharged engine (TBC) in my locost build, I was wondering what the IVA outlook is on having a car with no silencer.

I've worked on a couple of turbo (jap) cars that basically had an exhaust downpipe, approx 3" diameter and only long enough to expel outside the nearest point of bodywork (so we're talking less than 2 foot long here), and the turbo did a bloody good job of silencing the engine to the point that it was quieter than some NA's running with free-flowing cans...

Even my 1.9td wasn't very loud when the exhaust fell off on the motorway!

Is it a problem for Mr. SVA man, other than the db noise limit which hopefully will be containable?

Davey D

posted on 30/7/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
you will need a cat fitted unless your engine is old enough to not need one, and you can prove the age
speedyxjs

posted on 31/7/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Your engine may not run very well without sufficient back pressure.
Benzine

posted on 31/7/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

84(l< P12355l_l123

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 31/7/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

F1 engines seem to manage.

I know a guy with a turbo diesel kit car (I know!) without a silencer. It is surprisingly quiet. My cappuccino came with a tiny after market straight through silencer and it was about the same level of loudness as the kit car. I believe IVA requires you to have a silencer. You could either try to persuade the inspector that the tubo satisfied this requirement or you could fit the smallest one you can find.

Strontium Dog

posted on 31/7/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need back pressure to run your engine but you might need some to prevent your turbo from over spooling! A very good waist gate to a screamer pipe might do it though!

Mr. IVA man won't like the screamer though I suspect

PSpirine

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Re back pressure, turbo engines don't need any back pressure from the exhaust system, the turbo itself creates all the backpressure into the exhaust manifold and back to the cylinders!

Didn't realise IVA *required* a silencer to be present.. technically the turbocharger is arguably a silencer (a device which reduces the loudness of the exhaust/engine noise?)

The wastegate is a problem indeed, but running it with an underspecced turbo for the IVA should work (won't spool up to full boost till quite high up the rev range so hopefully not too much will be going out the waste). Having said that even if you had a full silenced exhaust system and had an external waste gate it would still cause the same problem!

pdm

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Try daz-davies at 22b.com - he's got similar thing on his subaru, under Projects.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.