Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Setting cam timing
pdm

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Setting cam timing

Evening all

Just been thinking through cam timing and have a question please ?

Ages ago I posted about putting in cams and how to time them - I got some sound advice (as usual here) about timing and how to measure lift of cams to work out degrees and TDC etc. So that bit I think I understand now.

Taking this a bit further - on my "practice" engine with the head off and supported, when turning by cam by hand, the cams had a spot where they would "rest" - i.e. if you turned the cam sprocket then they would turn but if you let go they would sort of spring into "rest" position.

So my question is - assuming you've got all the timing sorted, how do you "hold" the cam at the right position without it springing to a "rest" position whilst you put the belt on ?

Don't worry I'm not doing this yet but I do want to plan out what work I am going to do on my donor engine.

As always thanks in advance,
Paul

Dusty

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the cam to cam wheel fit. Some have a key(pinto) so the wheel is locked to the cam so you can hold the wheel or put a spanner on the cam itself to align. Some are friction fit(zetec) and you can hold/lock the cam in position with a special tool or bar so it doesn't flip back to it's comfy position while you time it up.

[Edited on 1/8/10 by Dusty]

pdm

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I'll have to have a look for a locking tool

cheers
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.