Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - ebay scams
pdm

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
OT - ebay scams

Hi

I've sold two items on ebay which were for collection. No contact for quite a while and then I get a paypal payment out of the blue.

Still no contact re collection though.

Does anyone know of any scams with this MO ? Worst I can think of at the moment is I'll have to refund the money.

thanks
Paul

jossey

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
maybe.....

just email the customer.

alot of ebay accounts get hacked and they bid on high value stuff without reading it to see if the item is delivery or not.

i would suggest refundign the payment if you cant get hold of them by ebay.

but contact the customer by asking for there contact details eg phone number. and then you can check if they really wanted the item or if the account has been hacked.

that said some people just pay via paypal and call weeks later if there on holiday etc.

cheers

dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
from what I understand if they have to collect it is difficult (if not impossible) to get a paypal refund. You can still issue one, but email them asking when they intend to collect, and give them a time limit. Don't be unreasonible about it, but a couple of weeks should be ample unless they have compelling reasons. Seems many people do buy and pay, then never collect. Yours to resell then I guess, you can always refund (less fees of course) if needed.
rallyingden

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a woodworking machine for £350 in May. The guy said he would be at sea till June 26th but still not heard from him about collection I am going to write, email etc him and give him till the end of Aug then its back up for sale.

RD

Chippy

posted on 2/8/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I sold some boat gear at £250, didn't hear from the guy for about three weeks, despite sending him emails, nearly let the next bidder have it. Then he contacted me and said his mum had died, but as soon as things were sorted he would come and pick the item up, which he did. So not always clear cut. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Ninehigh

posted on 3/8/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth asking ebay about it, ask them if there's a cut off point in which if you've heard nothing from the buyer you should put it back up.

pdm

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
thanks all - think I'll keep trying with polite emails for the next week or so and then say I'll relist if not picked up 14 days after that. That's one month which should cover holidays etc etc

thanks again

Jon Ison

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
The one thing you are wide open for with paypal is if he does now come collect the item when he gets home he can click "item not received" paypal will ask you for a tracking number, you wont have one to give, you know what happens next dont you ?

pdm

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Good point Jon - wouldnt I be able to argue that it was collection only though ? I know paypal generally side with the buyers though....

maybe I should be asking punters to pose with their items whilst I take a photo !!!!

Jon Ison

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
paypal will accept nothing as proof of delivery other than "online tracking with signature"

I only know of one guy who won a case like this, that was only after he got the police involved and had cctv, it is one almighty hole that paypal refuse to plug.

We have been had over by it and now refuse collections if paid by paypal, I know its only 1 in 1000 maybe but the principle stinks.

pdm

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for the heads up Jon
sonic

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt have a Paypal account again if they gave me £1000 opening balance free!!!

They are totally crap! caused alot of problems with me and most of the people i know who have used them.

Ebay is no better,the both of them are so wide open to people being scammed and left with alot of time to sort it out.

I have gone back to the old fashioned way if i see something i want i contact them and either go and collect pay cash or send a good old fashioned check recorded delivery,never had any problems in the last twelve months.

Miks15

posted on 3/8/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
if he comes to collect, get him to sign a receipt which you both keep. Then you can use that as confirmation of collection?
pdm

posted on 3/8/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Miks15 - that's a good idea, at least I'd have something to show paypal/ebay then if it did go pear shaped. I could print out the listing and just get him to sign it as received/collected.

thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.