Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Geeky question
Browser

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Geeky question

Although I use PC's, my knowledge of what makes them tick behind the scenes is a tad limited, so please bear with me. Being a sad, aging game player, I recently found out that there are PC versions of Elite on the 'net, so drooling wioth anticipation of fighting Cobras, Boas and the like again I downloaded a Commodore 64 emmulator (C64 forever) and tried unsuccessfully to download Elite, both from Ian Bell's Elite homepage and from other sources. I unzipped the files and put them in a suitable directory, but they don't seem to want to run.
In simple terminology and with words of not too many syllables, can anyone post a simple idiots guide of how to do this or am I the only saddo on here who's interested in this stuff

AndyW

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
cant help with your question but I am now going to follow this to its conclusion and do the same. Iused to love Elite, played all the time on the old BBC micro!!
eznfrank

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you buy an actual real life c64 off ebay for a few pounds?
Liam

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Never tried C64 forever - looks a bit too flash for it's own good if you ask me. Plus i dont think you can even play full screen unless you get the paid version. I'm giving it a try now anyway. I use VICE as my C64 emulator and have never had any problems.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Can't you buy an actual real life c64 off ebay for a few pounds?

If you lke paying for inconvenience and suffering, then yes i suppose you could .

Ah - that C64 forever wont support the .D64 format unless you pay. Just get literally any other C64 emulator. I use VICE and it's great. Just download the relavent version (win 64-bit for me), extract, put the .D64s somewhere, run the C64 executable, go to 'autostart disk/tape image', find your game. Can set up joysticks and other options as you see fit. Alt-D for full screen. Alt-W to toggle the 1:1 speed limit so you dont have to wait the actual C64 loading time

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
isn't there a link on Ian Bells website for a PC version? wouldn't this be easier than using emulators etc.

Loved playing elite when it came out on the BBC, school computer room was always full at dinner time.

Shame they never brought it up to date for PC, consoles etc it would be superb.

loggyboy

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/pc/index.htm
BenB

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/pc/index.htm

LOL- you can tell how old it is when they start talking about pkunzip.

I've used BBC B emulators before. Not sure if the C64 version was any better than the BBC version.

Personally I like Super Mario Bros on a NES emulator. Gameplay to die for Love the cheats too!

jossey

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
what format c64 game you downloaded?

ccs64 is ok but wont run alot of older rom files.

send me the rom and ill look on my emulators and see what i can do.

i will have the game somewhere too i think.

but im at work and my satelite net aint working. dont ask. i dont live in a internet area in my new barn pad thing.

anywhooo

email me
**email address removed at author's request**

and ill look into it for you

[Edited on 25/2/2018 by ChrisW]

L5W

posted on 3/8/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used to love playing elite on the amiga. There is an amiga emulator called WINUAE which can be downloaded if the C64 emulator wont work.

Alternatively, have you tried Eve Online? Its a bit like elite but with real players flying about doing their business trading, manufacturing or blowing each other up. I played it for about 4 years but stopped as it was taking up too much of my spare time!

couple of links:
http://www.eveonline.com
http://play.eveonline.com/en/home.aspx

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

Johneturbo

posted on 3/8/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
predator on the C64 rocked, but i always died

syntax error

Irony

posted on 3/8/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I liked Elite II on the amiga and I have dabbled with the emulators. I generally found that all pre-amiga (i.e C64, ZX spectrum games) should be left well alone and just fondly remembered. Its like what James May said about the Lambo Countach. Just fondly remember it and never drive on now. Just dated.

I have found that there are a couple of good Amiga games that have stood the ravages of time. Right at the top of the list is UFO: Enemy Unknown. Nowadays these games are abandonware so you should be able to download them for free.

Ninehigh

posted on 3/8/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
There's a file called glffe, it's an opengl version of Frontier First Encounters

Phineas

posted on 3/8/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you can live with the ZX Spectrum version...http://www.zxspectrum.net/

Superb site

JC

posted on 3/8/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
i play oolite on my mac, just like the real thing! Think that there is a pc version
Browser

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks JC, I was directed that way by someone on another forum and, yes, it does work on the PC and looks like it's faithful to the original. Commander Jameson, here I come!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.