Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to get more bhp for cheap??
jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
How to get more bhp for cheap??

The only mod to the engine is twin webbers and im running a 2.0 zetec in my tiger avon. What are some cheap and easy ways to get more power??? Id love a turbo but unfortunately im not rich. What other things can I do????
austin man

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
what ecu are you running, what exhaust have you got

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

norfolkluego

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Good exhaust manifold (if you don't already have one)
jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know this is going to sound stupid but I dont know the answer to either of those questions as I didnt build it and havnt checked the ECU.
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
cheap bhp = remove weight = go on diet = go faster and stop better

edit for faces

[Edited on 9/8/10 by tomgregory2000]

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
a good rolling road setup? can make a huge difference, depends on if it has been done already.
Also things like decent air filter/airbox, correct engine oil and gearbox/diff oils all add up.
If some more cash then camshafts, maybe a higher CR if cams changed and so on. After that the turbo looks a cheap next upgrade.....

BTW the exhaust manifold is a VERY good point. Not sure who makes the best ones (as in dyno comparisons) but dunnell and probably westfield would be my guess.......

jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well im hopefully going on a rolling road this month at some point so tht should be good. Ill def look into the exhaust manifold then. Also just out of interest how much would a turbo be??
PSpirine

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Compared to N/A tuning, a homebrew turbo conversion is quite cheap, if you can weld/sort out the pipework.
jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well I cant weld and have little knowledge in mechanics. I just really love driving the car but dont have a clue how to fit things/ change things...
austin man

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
rolling road will be more effective with an off the shelf ECU megajolt, Emerald, Omex etc they will be able to tune in relation to throttle , temperature etc. what does your exhaust look like is ther one pipe exiting the car or are there more than 1

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
No there is four that go into 1... sorry if I have miss read the question...
norfolkluego

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jono2020
Well I cant weld and have little knowledge in mechanics. I just really love driving the car but dont have a clue how to fit things/ change things...

You joined the right place then, if you can't learn stuff from the guys on here (not me I hasten to add, I'm still learning too), you never will, it's a brilliant site

jono2020

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I genuinely have learnt everything I know off here... Which isnt much but im still asking loads of questions... Just wish there was a 'kit car for dummies' guide. Or a mechanic that loved me and just did everything for free...
Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet stripes - worth 1 second to 60mph and 10mph top speed easily!!

As said though - if you want more power then start off with a tubular exhaust manifold (probably what you have - pics??)

After that then a decent setup on a Rolling Road and make sure everything works as it should.

First performance part i'd then fit is sticky tyres - Marangoni Zeta Linea are not too dear and a step up from "normal" tyres

MakeEverything

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
In all honestly, youre not going to be able to do much with;

A) not much money
B) not many skills in mechanics or welding

Sorry to put a dampener on it.

Have you done the usuals;

Free flow filter / cone arrangement
99RON Fuel with Octane Additive
Lose all unnecessary weight
service with quality oil
New HT Leads & Plugs

??

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

loggyboy

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
you need to suck some nitro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNZbcEzogU

(yeah i know they didnt mean nitrous but what ya gonna do???)

[Edited on 10/8/10 by loggyboy]

iank

posted on 10/8/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapest ways to go faster (without touching mechanical stuff) all IMO others may differ:

Rolling road tune (assuming it's not already been done - contact previous owner). What ECU is driving the ignition, Megajolt? Go somewhere that knows webers, a lot of places now concentrate on injection.

Full suspension setup at procomp

High speed driver training course (will knock seconds a lap off any trackday for 99% of drivers).

Weight loss - if you have a pie retention issue like me you could easily trim off 10kg.

Weight less car - loads can be done unless your car was built to be light.
Usual areas for thought:
Battery - replace with something smaller
Seats - check out Triton's grp seats
Wheels and tyres - huge difference can be had weight wise - 13" are best if you can fit them over the brakes and you don't 'need' the hot wheels look.
Interior trim - if it has a carpet get rid.
Windscreen+wipers+heater - do you need them if you have them?

Turbo might not be the best install for a 7, superchargers are better suited to light cars but the costs are high.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RIE

posted on 10/8/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

That's not going to give a power increase, is it?

macc man

posted on 10/8/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
How fast do you want to go? Surely a 2.0 zetec will be more than enough for road use. Mine puts out about 140bhp in standard tune. More than enough to scare me to death.

joemotion

posted on 10/8/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
i have a set of twin black racing stripes for sale £15 posted - easily the cheapest mod IMO
atspeed racing

posted on 10/8/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I could send you an Atspeed go faster sticker

Sorry to say the two words, "power and cheap" are not normally used in the same sentence. As has been suggested, make the most of what you have, you might be suprised with the result

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MakeEverything

posted on 11/8/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIE
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

That's not going to give a power increase, is it?

Improved combustion and efficiency will give you smoother running. Losing harmonic noise will reduce harmonic power losses. Higher octane should also lower combustion temperatures, but its negligible.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Fizzer

posted on 13/8/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hiya, I know a bit about zetec's on webers.

First *Check your ECU* - If it's a Weber Alpha unit, you'll need to make sure the RR you're going to has the kit to deal with them. Few do.

Assuming you do have programmable ignition already, it's probably already been set up by an RR at some point (or had some fettling by a competant person at least)

So, your RR trip may not yield mega extra bhp, unless you suspect it's running badly.

Which flavour of Zetec are you running? If it's silvertop (early), you have hydraulic tappets - you can just throw some warmer cams in - do this before your RR session and you'll start to see an improvement in headline power figures and, depending on the cam you choose, perhaps more peaky (re - exciting) delivery too.

If it's a blacktop, you have solid lifters, this means you'll need to change the shims to keep the clearances right. Not rocket science, but does complicate matters a tad.

I have weber 45's + good manifold, weber alpha ignition, 2.0 blacktop (£100 from ebay)!, newman cams (phase 3) = got 177bhp (flywheel) at Northampton Motorsport

It goes like a rocket!

jono2020

posted on 16/8/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya, I know a bit about zetec's on webers.

First *Check your ECU* - If it's a Weber Alpha unit, you'll need to make sure the RR you're going to has the kit to deal with them. Few do.

Assuming you do have programmable ignition already, it's probably already been set up by an RR at some point (or had some fettling by a competant person at least)

So, your RR trip may not yield mega extra bhp, unless you suspect it's running badly.

Which flavour of Zetec are you running? If it's silvertop (early), you have hydraulic tappets - you can just throw some warmer cams in - do this before your RR session and you'll start to see an improvement in headline power figures and, depending on the cam you choose, perhaps more peaky (re - exciting) delivery too.

If it's a blacktop, you have solid lifters, this means you'll need to change the shims to keep the clearances right. Not rocket science, but does complicate matters a tad.

I have weber 45's + good manifold, weber alpha ignition, 2.0 blacktop (£100 from ebay)!, newman cams (phase 3) = got 177bhp (flywheel) at Northampton Motorsport

It goes like a rocket!-

Its a silver top zetec. The ECU has nothing written on it so really not sure what it is... Warmer CAMS... sorry to be ignorant but no idea what that means. But where is the best place to get these form and what sort of price would I be looking at? I like the sound of Newman cams too as Newman is my last name. I know this bears no relevance but would just be cool

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.