Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Draining Engine Coolant
jono2020

posted on 11/8/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Draining Engine Coolant

My engine is running quite hot at the mo so I thought its about time I changed the coolant and water. Plus it smells a bit fishy too. I havent changed the water before and was about to start unplugging the hoses but thought i'd check first if anyone knows an easier way (or the right way to do it) as it looks like im gonna get the water everywhere... I know I sound stupid but would rather check than ruin my engine... thanks
02GF74

posted on 11/8/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
some engines have a drain tap e.g. rover v8 (one on each side I think) ... but almost inevitably they seize and sod's law being what it is, they will snap when you undo and be in the most inaccessible place for it to be fixed ...... so as you say, undoing the lower hose to the radiator is the simplest way.

when you refill, buy some deionised water - either wilkinsion (cheapest) or halfords sell it.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Might help if we knew which engine you have as bleeding the system may be necessary?
jono2020

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, Its a 2.0 ford zetec. I have already emptied it last night and flushed it through. I used the bottom hose (and got soaked) My plan is to fill it and run the engine for a bit to get out any air locks then put the cooler tank cap back on. Is that right?
bimbleuk

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Well if it's just rusty water then you really need to be too fussy. If it's got Ethylene in it then do the proper thing and don't let it contaminate the environment.
I use a vacuum sucker to extract as much as possible from all the hoses and has saved me a lot of messing. I've also used it to extract engine, diff and gearbox oil.

Michael

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the same when i was designing my cooling system:

1. There is no room for removing the bottom hose on my Cross flow as it runs under the rack.

2. It would go everywhere when i removed the bottom hose (been there when working for Suzuki.

So i made a metal hose joiner, then milled a slot big enough to take a M8 washer, then drill and tapped that area. Once fitted in situ makes a great drain.

I am still in final running up, stages just before IVA, (so running up on neat water) but have had to use it already and apart from a couple of splashes from undoing the bolt there area is kept dry.

By the way use a fibre washer as well for a good seal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.