Poll: ebay item what would you do? [View Results]
Go through ebay and loose money
Little white lie and not loose money
Other

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ebay item what would you do?
balidey

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
ebay item what would you do?

I recently bought an item from ebay (I won't say what it actually is incase the seller ever reads on here).
It was advertised without a photo, but the description and title both said what it was and gave the brand name.
I bid and won, but when its arrived today its actually a very bad cheap chinese crap knock off. 100% not what the item should be and I would win in a Not As Described dispute if I went through ebay.

Sorry, starting to rant now....

Well, if I log it as a complaint then I will have to return it via a Trackable post method. And the cost of this will be about 75% of what I paid for it in the first place.

Or I can just say it never arrived and claim my full money back. it was only posted normal 1st class, not tracked. It only cost me a few quid but I am really not going to want to PAY to return this piece of crap.

So, what would you do?

Go through official channels and loose a couple of quid.

Or

Lie, say it never arrived, get all our money back and chuck the item in the bin (seriously that's what I will do)

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

JoelP

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
the seller has decieved you, so i wouldnt feel bad about decieving them. You wouldnt be able to complain about the brand then though, as technically you havent seen it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

02GF74

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
is it those sony headphones that I also bought?

open up dispute and then if seller wants the items back, he has to pay cost.

also what sort of money are we talking about?

balidey

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
is it those sony headphones that I also bought?

open up dispute and then if seller wants the items back, he has to pay cost.

also what sort of money are we talking about?

not Sony headphones, no.
Also I was under the impression the BUYER had to pay for return postage at cost ????

And it was only about £3.50 total to me but will cost about £2 to return recorded.

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
The Sale of Goods Act/Distance Selling Rules, reqire the seller to pay all postage costs in a case such as this, including return postage.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Jon Ison

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
We have a busy eBay shop, we get on average 2 INR requests a week, good in it ?

We have website admittedly ebay outsells the website 40/1, to date not one INR message from website sales.

We factor the fraudulent claims into our pricing, I'll leave my thoughts on it there.

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
By any chance was it a USB to OBDII interface that claims to be a genuine ELM327 ? There is at least one UK seller selling those --- they sort of work with some software.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 11/8/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Open a dispute, play straight don't stoop to his level he'll beat you with experience...

Make him squirm a bit and if you have to pay postage just drop it, just have £3.50s worth of fun....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 11/8/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
We factor the fraudulent claims into our pricing, I'll leave my thoughts on it there.

Sad but true. It is the sensible thing to do. I wonder if "PayPal" or "eBay" logos on the jiffy bags bring out the worst in the lower end of the Royal Mail's employees?

balidey

posted on 11/8/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Jon, I understand where you are coming from. But if you were selling a knock off cooker hood that was crap, and you falsely advertised it, then you would see where I was coming from. I would return it to him and NOT make a false claim, but why should I be out of pocket for his mistake / fraud.

I have just checked with ebay and yes I WOULD have to pay return postage. Even though distance seller regs may say otherwise, ebay usually make their own rules. And in this case they have.

And to stop any more guesses, it was actually a certain American brand of torch. You know which one. I have bought 3 recently for all about the same price. The one without the picture was obviously the crap one.

Jon Ison

posted on 11/8/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
No need to shout.

I'm not for one minute going to defend the guy who sold to you but have you approached him at all ? Told him your dissatisfied, given him the chance to rectify the situation ? If your still left dissatisfied do what ever you see fit.

Mark G

posted on 11/8/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go through the correct channels, ask for a refund. If the seller decides that they would like you to return it, I would return it recorded delivery but before you put it back in its box drive over it and make sure you've made your point. They could say it was damaged on return but eBay pretty much always fight the buyers corner and they can't prove it was like that when returned. You end up with some money back, a feel good feeling and the seller ends up pissed having paid postage and now has a product that can't be resold.

Or that's what I would like to do anyway if I were in your situation.

JAMSTER

posted on 11/8/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
had this a few weeks back with a body kit all looked good in pics got it well what a load of sh*t

phoned ebay told them not as discribed and rubish try ebay resolution centre
well long story short full refund inc postage

trextr7monkey

posted on 11/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

I wonder if "PayPal" or "eBay" logos on the jiffy bags bring out the worst in the lower end of the Royal Mail's employees?

Not trying to trivialise this but checkout the " 'Boro Pat" Postman Pat voice over on You tube where Mrs Goggins is tripping ove rthe mail bags and says " F** kin e bay". It is hilarious and I'm sure there is some truth in it!
We bought an item described as new which wasn't recently and vendor suggested a total refund or a couple of quid knocked off, I suggested another nice new one rather than a shop return and after a slight delay it has arrived, I suggested the couple of quid refund would cover the return post but as yet it hasn't arrived so i tis looking like 2 for the price of one at the moment.

atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

pdm

posted on 11/8/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I was in same boat a while back with some axle stands I bought.

I raised a dispute and no word from seller so I just got a refund. I didn't have to return them, in fact ebay never even asked me too.

Left it 2 months to see if seller would contact wanting them back - he didnt so I sold them on.

I dont reckon ebay will expect you to pay return postage but I could be wrong.

RAYLEE29

posted on 11/8/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
paypal expect you to pay return postage if the seller wants the item back
being honest will not necessarily get you anywhere
Ray

Paradoxia0

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
As much as I can see where you are coming from with the whole claim it never arrived ploy personally I wouldn't be happy doing it. It would nag at me for being dishonest...

I would contact the seller and tell him that it is not as advertised and therefore you will take it up with ebay/paypal. He then has 2 choices...

1. say fine, post it back and we will go through the channels
2. say fair cop, have this refund and throw it in the bin

I have gone to dispute 2 items recently due to not working and both have gone for option 2!

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

RazMan

posted on 11/8/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If the item was not as described then the only thing to do is to open a dispute. His deception must be challenged otherwise other poor sods will continue to get ripped off and you can rest in the warm glow of doing a good deed for your fellow man

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Anything important I post by any method other than special delivery never arrives.

3 Clicks

posted on 12/8/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
People like you make me sick!!!

I bet you wouldn't have the "guts" to do that in a high street shop???

This forum & YOU has been noted on eBay's forums ~~~ GoodBye...

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I recently bought an item from ebay (I won't say what it actually is incase the seller ever reads on here).
It was advertised without a photo, but the description and title both said what it was and gave the brand name.
I bid and won, but when its arrived today its actually a very bad cheap chinese crap knock off. 100% not what the item should be and I would win in a Not As Described dispute if I went through ebay.

Sorry, starting to rant now....

Well, if I log it as a complaint then I will have to return it via a Trackable post method. And the cost of this will be about 75% of what I paid for it in the first place.

Or I can just say it never arrived and claim my full money back. it was only posted normal 1st class, not tracked. It only cost me a few quid but I am really not going to want to PAY to return this piece of crap.

So, what would you do?

Go through official channels and loose a couple of quid.

Or

Lie, say it never arrived, get all our money back and chuck the item in the bin (seriously that's what I will do)

Benzine

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 3 Clicks

It's quite hard to claim that something "hasn't arrived" in a high street shop since you generally tend to pay for the item in front of the shop keeper.

Atb!

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote

3 Clicks

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
The OP is lieing & is a cheat...

He won't like it if it happened to him!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by 3 Clicks

It's quite hard to claim that something "hasn't arrived" in a high street shop since you generally tend to pay for the item in front of the shop keeper.

Atb!

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Benzine]

Benzine

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

I'm Eoin McLove! I can do what I like!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

PSpirine

posted on 12/8/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Admittedly this was a while ago, and was on ebay USA, but I received an item that was described as one thing, but was actually something else (was a RC car, the model was an older one)

Whether this was by mistake, or on purpose, I filed a dispute with ebay/paypal. The seller didn't defend respond to any communications at all, paypal gave me a refund, and never told me to send the item back.

I imagine if the seller actually communicates back to you, you'll have to send it back..

Personally I've had similar situations a couple of times and in approximately a third of the cases, the seller will pay your return postage and refund everything. In that case I always left them positive feedback for good communication and support. As I said though, usually it's the other 70% of times when they just won't budge at all, and you're stuck.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.