Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why do the council do all the road works at the same time?
morcus

posted on 20/8/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why do the council do all the road works at the same time?

Why Do the coucil do 5 lots of major road works all at the same time? There is no way into town that doesn't involve being sat at tempory lights in stupid places. On the main way into town is a set of lights who's only purpose is to allow trucks out of a side road and causes a queue up to the round about and beyod so sometimes you can't even go round it, and then you get stuck behind loads of people turning right because both sets of lights on the main road go green at the same time. If you do manage to get on the bypass (The next Junction on the round about) theres another set of lights just after the bypass which has two turnings next to them and people pull out with out even looking. That and alot of the people using the Bypass as a away around seem to think the speed limit is 40.

Why can't the council finish one set of road works then start the other. If they did this they could fully close the sections and divert people and get the job done quicker.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

A1

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
cause theyre a bunch of fannies.

excuse the language, but its the council were talking about...

Jamesmc

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Round my way there are about three sets of roadworks within about a mile of busy road, they've closed the high street and there are jams everywhere.
morcus

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
The worst thing is, I was only going to down to deal with the Council cocking up the direct debit for my council tax (For the third time). I'd complain but it would only go to the council who'd ignor it.

Is there any one to complain to who isn't the council themselves? I've written to my MP before but He has said there's very little he can do regarding council activity.

mookaloid

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Probably - and I know I'll get shot down for this - because the people who do this for a living working the public sector have no concept of urgency or cost to the public which they are supposed to be serving.

I am fed up with seeing instance after instance of public money being spent by people who don't spend it because it needs to be spent but in order to justify their own existence.

The council recently spent I don't know how many thousands of pounds over a 2 month period 'modifying' a T junction near us (in the middle of nowhere) which had a give way sign and some appropriate white lines on the road to show the rights of way.

The junction is now 3 lanes separated by kerbs and has no less that 27 road signs round it in various directions. As far as I know there has never been any accidents at the junction so it can only be spending money in order that someone can justify their job

well it makes my blood boil

Rant rant rant

errrr sorry chaps got a bit carried away there - I know what you mean though.

cheers

Mooky

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

phoenix70

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
because the people who do this for a living working the public sector have no concept of urgency or cost to the public which they are supposed to be serving.

+1

If the councils were even partially efficient they would get twice as much done in half the time with a fraction of the cost.

[Edited on 20/8/10 by phoenix70]

designer

posted on 20/8/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Because all councils are staffed by educated (as in been to uni and got an ology) idiots, who have no idea of practicalities.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toniq-r

posted on 20/8/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
cause theyre a bunch of fannies.

excuse the language, but its the council were talking about...

Know no need for that ! I have many friends who work for the council and they are not Fannies as a Fannie is very useful at times ,They are just lazy asterds milking there pockets with our council tax
Nice to see your alive A1

[Edited on 20/8/10 by Toniq-r]

A1

posted on 20/8/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, must be my power-rangerness coming out...

excuse my mistake!

ashg

posted on 21/8/10 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
dont bother moaning it wont make any difference. it would be nice if they stopped f'ing about with the road layouts and just resurfaced them all properly.

i have seen first hand councils wasting money. i used to work for kent county council.

they had a small office called kent river project with 3 computer users on a bb internet connection they had vpn for email etc (nice cheep cost effective method) everything worked perfectly with no issues.

one day someone bigger and apparently smarter than everyone else said remove the BB and put a direct sdsl connection in. this was done at a cost of £6000, was slow un-reliable (working 2 days out of 5 if they were lucky) which caused user complaints.

how do you think they fixed it after 4 months of pissing about? put the users back on the old system which was fine in the first place?

nope they paid £26,000 of yours and my council tax money for bt to dig the road up and install a 100mb fibre optic line for 3 bloody people that check their email maby once or twice a day!!!

Fortunately I no longer work for the council, at christmas they made me redundant because they run out of money! im glad the did it now as seeing the money they pissed away on a daily basis makes me feel sick looking back.

I left with a nice payout and got a job thats 100 times better back in the good old private sector.

[Edited on 21/8/10 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

morcus

posted on 21/8/10 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know if its true but I've heard from reliable sources that there are people on the County Council who get paid more than the Prime Minister. I've also heard from someone who used to work for the Borough council that at the end of the financial year they activly look for ways to use up whats left of the money, just to stop council tax being reduced and thus them having less money.

My mother (Who lives out in the west Country) told me today there Council has done the same thing, but waited till the summer to do road works on every road in an area popular with tourists, right at the time when everyone is going there on Holiday.

Ivan

posted on 21/8/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
I must take issue with some of the things said here based on my extensive South African experience. Not all Councils are as described and certainly not all council employees.

I have seen just as many cases of poor service and money wasting in the private sector as in the public sector - the only difference is the average customer of the private sector does not feel that they own the company and so are a bit less critical.

Because Councils are funded with public money they are hamstrung with financial regulations set up to stop wastage - instead they achieve the exact opposite leading amongst other things to delays in implementing the projects allowed in the budget and hence a rush at the end of the financial year to spend the budget. It often takes 6 months to get approval and appointment of a contractor - bet that doesn't happen in the private sector.

Also Council activities are controlled by politicians - a sure-fire recipe for disaster - how many successful private companies are run by politicians. There is also very little incentive for excellence so some staff very rapidly become disillusioned and move on to greener pastures leading to a general lowering of management skills.

zilspeed

posted on 21/8/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I must take issue with some of the things said here based on my extensive South African experience. Not all Councils are as described and certainly not all council employees.

I have seen just as many cases of poor service and money wasting in the private sector as in the public sector - the only difference is the average customer of the private sector does not feel that they own the company and so are a bit less critical.

Because Councils are funded with public money they are hamstrung with financial regulations set up to stop wastage - instead they achieve the exact opposite leading amongst other things to delays in implementing the projects allowed in the budget and hence a rush at the end of the financial year to spend the budget. It often takes 6 months to get approval and appointment of a contractor - bet that doesn't happen in the private sector.

Also Council activities are controlled by politicians - a sure-fire recipe for disaster - how many successful private companies are run by politicians. There is also very little incentive for excellence so some staff very rapidly become disillusioned and move on to greener pastures leading to a general lowering of management skills.

+1

Regarding spending money near the end of the financial year and its effect on council tax.

Sorry, bollocks.

Revenue income versus capital income - two different things as I'm sure many of you know.

If your budget isn't spent by the end of the year, your budget for next year will actively be reduced by the amount that you underspent. That's your centrally funded budget from central government, not council tax income.
A great many of us work really hard and bust a gut to do the best job we can, because we remember who we work for.

The council tax payer.

So yes, some may just take the wage and sit back, but a great many of us don't.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/8/10 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Probably - and I know I'll get shot down for this - because the people who do this for a living working the public sector have no concept of urgency or cost to the public which they are supposed to be serving.

I am fed up with seeing instance after instance of public money being spent by people who don't spend it because it needs to be spent but in order to justify their own existence.

The council recently spent I don't know how many thousands of pounds over a 2 month period 'modifying' a T junction near us (in the middle of nowhere) which had a give way sign and some appropriate white lines on the road to show the rights of way.

Lets see now our local council changed a crossroads at the end of the town centre to a minin roundabout. Then changed it back. Then to a roundabout again. Then back.

They could have spent that money on the local play area that has, in 20 years, had a sign put up with a number to ring if you have any comments.

You ring them up and tell them it's like something from 1940's Russia and they tell you there's no plans to do anything... But the sign is now up because of some 1950's law...

I agree some are hardworking but it appears to be like the hard workers in any place, the phrase "p**sing in the wind" springs to mind

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.