Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how far am I from a river?
swanny

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
how far am I from a river?

just renewing our hours insurance and told them that we'd had a letter recently to tell us that we are in a flood risk area. Insurers now want to know how far from the river we are before insuring us. Too close and it doubles or tripled the premium. Anyone know how we find this out? Rivers don't have a postcode and its too far for a tape measure!
Looked on line but can't see anything that would do this.
Cheers
Paul

chrsgrain

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a map, use a ruler, multiply by the scale factor?

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

MikeFellows

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
erm....

google earth and use the measuring tool?

steve m

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I live next to lake, with streams to and fro, and there was no mention about how close it was, just had we ever been flooded

Of which we have not

regards

Steve

twybrow

posted on 24/8/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
EA Flood Risk. The EA made major changes to their flood risk maps this year. It is these that now define the risk for insurance companies. You can put in your postcode at the link above, and find out for yourself how close you are to a flood risk.
balidey

posted on 24/8/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell, I checked the EA site and my whole town is painted blue. OK, it only says 'moderate' risk of flooding, but if this is what the insurance industry use then the EA are a bunch of muppets.
FYI I live in the Fens, the area was reclaimed from the sea over hundreds of years. I can't recall a flood in my lifetime. But now there is a map saying I live in the middle of a huge area that is at risk of flooding.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

jossey

posted on 24/8/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
get free OS maps online.

get the measurement wrong and your in the poo if you make a claim.

print the map use string and find the closest point.

Then measure the string to the key.

My brother works in insurance in claims team. aka the dont pay out team.

they use OS maps due to the accurancy of them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 24/8/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Bloody hell, I checked the EA site and my whole town is painted blue. OK, it only says 'moderate' risk of flooding, but if this is what the insurance industry use then the EA are a bunch of muppets.
FYI I live in the Fens, the area was reclaimed from the sea over hundreds of years. I can't recall a flood in my lifetime.
But now there is a map saying I live in the middle of a huge area that is at risk of flooding.

This is based upon topological data (ie the shape of the land) and historical flood data, and is forecase forward for the effects of climate change on rainfall/flooding.

An area reclaimed from the sea does sound like it could be at risk...! And just becuase it hasn't flooded before, doesn't mean it won't do it in the future.

Slightly harsh to say the EA are muppets for producing that map - if you know better than they do on this subject, perhaps you could suggest ways to improve their models/predictions? You may need a few super computers to do it mind you...

contaminated

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
The maps on the EA website are pretty good in my experience. They can become out of date as flood defences are added and development takes place (the latter can reduce flood water storage potential and move the problem down the road).

If you want more detail ring the EA, get the number for the local office and find out if you are in an area prone to flooding and whether the are any flood defences. You'll probably need the National Grid Reference - which you can take off any OS map.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

balidey

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
OK, EA maps may be good in some areas, but therefore it must be admitted they are not in other areas.
Where I live is at (and some areas below) sea level. Its part of the driest parts of the country. The area does not (touch wood) flood. Its because its so well drained, because its been dragged out of the sea over hundreds of years. I believe this part of the EA map is wrong and innacurate, so maybe I shouldn't have called them muppets. Just misguided fools

Howlor

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Google maps, then click the 'new' tab at the top right and click measuring. You can then drag measure points on to the map.

Mine is 11 metres!

Steve

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
FYI I live in the Fens, the area was reclaimed from the sea over hundreds of years. I can't recall a flood in my lifetime. But now there is a map saying I live in the middle of a huge area that is at risk of flooding.

Maybe due to Global Warming??

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
My back dor will be only maybe 50Ft from a watercourse. However we would also be about 100ft straight up above it. so You need to take into consideration altitude to the water as well. If the property was 2 miles from water but on lower ground than the water course then it would be at a greater risk.

We on the other hand would need the water to rise by 100ft before it entered the basement!!

BY THE WAY what use is the EA website. it only covers Englandshire.

[Edited on 24/808/10 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MikeR

posted on 24/8/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
is there anywhere other than Englandshire?
dan__wright

posted on 24/8/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
thats well off for me, there is a tiny blob of blue on the estate i live on, covers about 3 cul di sacs including the one i live in, none of which have flooded. where as a large area to the north of the estate has flooded a few times recently...nothing

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Ninehigh

posted on 24/8/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah they asked me this, or rather they asked how close I was to water.
I thought "there's loads in the taps, what kind of stupid f**king question is this?"

twybrow

posted on 24/8/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
OK, EA maps may be good in some areas, but therefore it must be admitted they are not in other areas.
Where I live is at (and some areas below) sea level. Its part of the driest parts of the country. The area does not (touch wood) flood. Its because its so well drained, because its been dragged out of the sea over hundreds of years. I believe this part of the EA map is wrong and innacurate, so maybe I shouldn't have called them muppets. Just misguided fools

So you are at or below sea level, and you don't think you are at risk of flooding? Misguided fools? Pot/kettle springs to mind!

balidey

posted on 24/8/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

So you are at or below sea level, and you don't think you are at risk of flooding? Misguided fools? Pot/kettle springs to mind!

it sounds crazy, but its all 100% fact.
Several areas are well below sea level, upto a couple of metres. Most is at, or just above sea level. But we have drainage. Bloody good drainage. Thats why the area does not flood.

But the EA has decided it does flood. The Fens are possible to flood, yes. But to class them as a flood risk is wrong. The EA could have easily classed the entire 100% coverage of the UK as flood risk as its all possible to get flooded.

P ?

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
contact your local environment agency and ask them. as they monitor river levels nationally
bi22le

posted on 24/8/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
My house is considered in a 'moderate' flood risk because I am less than a mile from a small river and the river Thames.

I dont quite agree though because I am approx 30 metres above the river level and am at the highest point in the area (I am level with a church that is named in the doomsday book!) and if we flood most of London is well down and out!!!

Thats why I brought the house. If you live at the top of a hill and go anywhere without driving you have your work cut out so its good for exercising!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

twybrow

posted on 26/8/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Those maps now also include 'surface water', rather than just rivers etc. This is new, and may explain why the map now shows you are in a flood area.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.