Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Plumbing Help
mistergrumpy

posted on 24/8/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Plumbing Help

Went to Buxton at the weekend to help my uncle put some thermostatic rad valves on his radiators. We did 13 rads in total, 2 were already done and we left the obligatory 1 without in the hallway.
Now his house has 3 floors, a cellar where the boiler is and an attic where the header tank is.
The water cylinder is located midway between the ground and first floor.
The job went fairly easy other than when we drained the bottom hallway rad out of the door it emptied very quickly and we soon realised the system was still part full and we ended up having to re drain that bottom rad everytime we started a new floor as the water just stopped coming out until we'd drained the above floor.
Now, the problem is when we tried to refill the system we released the ball float on the header tank which we'd tied up, set the 2 way motorised valve near the boiler to manual, put the pump onto 3 and put the heating on. Then ran up to the ground floor and opened all the bleed valves and nowt. After a couple of hours of trying and opening a bleed valve that was on a pipe besides the cylinder we managed to get water into the ground floor but that's it.
This was Saturday and we still can't get water up to the other floors, the pump feels to be running and everything and the system was fine beforehand. My uncle has now opened a pipe on the 3rd floor and says he's not got 20 pints of water down there but it's as though there's some kind of massive air bubble somewhere and you can hear the system gurgling every once in a while.
Does anyone have any ideas on the cause or a fix? There's 2 older people and a child in the house and it needs sorting

jase380

posted on 24/8/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
When i had my boiler changed the plumbers opened the bleed valves on every radiator before refilling the system, it might be worth a try if not done so far
adithorp

posted on 24/8/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I assume it's an old style boiler and not a combi. I thought you bled the system with the heating off, but I'm no expert. Are all the thermostotic valve you've fitted at max?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

BenB

posted on 24/8/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need the boiler running to bleed the radiators?
dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/8/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
on vented systems its usually best to bleed with nothing switched on. let the header tank do its thing and try opening more than 1 bleed valve at once - easy with 2 of you.

Some rad valves only work 1 direction, but can usually be adjusted to suit either, might be worth checking.

Its unlikely, but you may have disturbed some sludge and created a blockage. very unliekly to have this much effect though.

jase380

posted on 24/8/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
its a combi boiler now but we bled the old one the same way, as mentioned above its pretty easy if theres a couple of you to shut the valves as they bleed through
designer

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I understood you should open all bleeds , turn on supply and turn off bleeds as water reached them.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's not a combi boiler, it's a vented system.
All the ground bleeds were open to get them that high. Can't leave them open now though as water runs out.
All the middle floor ones were open but there's absolutely no movement in the water. We turned the heating on to get the pump working and pushing the water round.
The rad valves work in both directions according to the instructions and the heads are not on them so they're currently fully open.
The thought this morning, as mentioned by dinosaurjuice is that possibly a load of sludge had been disturbed as when he's trying to bleed the rads now he says there is shitty water coming out instead of the clear stuff before but I wouldn't have thought draining and refilling would have caused any more disturbance that running the system as usual.

ruskino80

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
try to back fill it with a hose pipe and cold mains via the drain off point-it will shove a probable blockage back up into the f+e tank- make sure the overflow is connected to the tank before trying this.
macc man

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Almost certain to be an air lock in system.
Best way is to drain down every leg of system and re-fill slowlly. If still full of air remove a radiator on floor which is locked and let a large volume through to clear air out. Try blowing down air vent in loft to clear air lock. No quick remedy but you will clear air out eventually good luck.

craig_007

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Also possible the cold feed from the header tank is blocked.

This is a common problem I have come across on open vented systems.

If the system fills up no problem by connecting a hose to the cold main I would say that's your problem.

If it is blocked the first place to check is where the 15mm cold feed tee's into the heating circuit(Usually around boiler or H/W/C area)
Just cut above the tee but bung the F&E tank and the open vent from the boiler first,Once cut stick a small plain driver down and chances are you will feel resistance !!

HPH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.