Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Angle grinder disks
pdm

posted on 5/9/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Angle grinder disks

Evening

This will probably sound like a daft question but I don't want to injure myself !!

When I use my small angle grinder, 115mm, I tend to let the metal cutting disks wear right down to just a few cm's across as they don't seem to last long.

On the larger 230mm discs, is it ok to do the same ? Or do they have a wear marker or something ? Instructions don't seem to say and there are no obvious wear markers on the disk.

Also the disc turns clockwise when looking from the top of the grinder - am I correct in assuming I therefore cut right to left ?

thanks in advance
Paul

hillbillyracer

posted on 5/9/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
You can wear them down as much as it practical access-wise. I suppose in theory as the disc wears & its mass reduces the centrifugal force trying to tear it apart gets less & the workpiece has less leverage over the disc, so it's at most risk when un-worn.
The real risk would be from using a disc which is damaged either by the work grabbing it & tearing/cracking it or some damage by dropping the grinder etc, if you see any damage on the disc replace it, if it flies apart & a sizable chunk of it hits you it will do damage.

& yes, when using it you move in the direction the disc wants to pull the grinder, I dont know that there's anything saftey-wise in it but it's just easier & more natural.

RazMan

posted on 5/9/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
You can wear them right down until they become useless with no 'reach' but either way make sure to wear goggles - when they let go they fragment all over the place.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming your large and small discs have the same i/d (7/8" . 22mm) you can use up the large ones on your small grinder,

i.e. wear them down to 115mm.

Paul G

Stott

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
I always cut against the disk direction, i.e if I'm holding the grinder in my right hand, I cut down.

Pretty sure that's the way to do it as there's more control against the disk pulling itself out of the cut and damaging something/you.

pdm

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent - thanks everyone.
iank

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
I always cut against the disk direction, i.e if I'm holding the grinder in my right hand, I cut down.

Pretty sure that's the way to do it as there's more control against the disk pulling itself out of the cut and damaging something/you.

and the sparks don't spray in your face, even with goggles etc. that's still to be avoided.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
It's easier to follow a line if you push the grinder away from yourself and the guard should be turned to stop sparks hitting you according to the angle you are holding the grinder at. The sparks go in the same direction whichever way you cut.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 6/9/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Assuming your large and small discs have the same i/d (7/8" . 22mm) you can use up the large ones on your small grinder,

i.e. wear them down to 115mm.

Paul G

Always check the speed of the machine against the speed of the disc!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 6/9/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
1. buy decent discs
2. wear eye protection
3. wear ear protection
4. Win @ life

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

pdm

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
thanks again everyone - welcome advice

nothing for it now but to fire the beast up !!

MikeR

posted on 7/9/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
1. buy decent discs
2. wear eye protection
3. wear ear protection
4. Win @ life

5. Wear decent gloves - i use my welding gauntlets
6. wear fireproof clothing (leather aprons cover this), figuring out your crotch on fire is only funny after the event. The comedy being telling the story in pub after and getting to the point where you realise that you have fire on your crotch and you have to basically slap yourself in the balls to put it out. It is not funny at the time.

serieslandy

posted on 7/9/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wear gloves I was using my 9 inch grinder it caught a bit of metal jumped onto the base of my thumb. Deep cut, 4 hours in A&E and 6 weeks of not being able to lift anything.
bartonp

posted on 8/9/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the hard part:
Apart from all the other great advice about protective clothing - try to wear something to stop you breathing in the dust.
Takes some experimentation, as most masks seem to be incompatible with most goggles....

iank

posted on 8/9/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Here's the hard part:
Apart from all the other great advice about protective clothing - try to wear something to stop you breathing in the dust.
Takes some experimentation, as most masks seem to be incompatible with most goggles....

Agreed, I use a 2 filter rubber mask with safety specs AND a full face shield.
Rather sweaty and a PITA but better safe than sorry.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.