Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine age and catalyst - not what you think !!
pdm

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Engine age and catalyst - not what you think !!

Hi

I am writing off to Mazda to get proof of engine age for my MX5 donor.

It was declared manufactured 1992 according to the V5 so I am fairly sure it is. I also checked on a japanese site and that also came back March 1992.

IVA manual says:

"The “effective date” used to determine the criteria applicable is the
date of manufacture of the vehicle, except for an “Amateur Built” vehicle, a “Vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle” or a “Rebuilt vehicle” it shall be 1 January immediately preceding the date of manufacture of the vehicle’s engine if this is earlier."

So first I am correct in thinking my engine's effective date is 01/01/1992 ?

That should put me "Start" section of IVA emissions test as my effective date can be no later than March 92 - no need for BET at all ?

Second question though I am not clear on - my car has a catalytic convertor - piccy at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41418507@N08/4964550625/

So in my letter from Mazda do I need to get them to confirm whether or not it had a cat. If they write back saying it had a cat on it, will I still need to fit a cat to my kit even though my engine is pre 1992 ?

Finally - because it's a Eunos it hasn't got the engine number on the V5. I've asked Mazda if they can link the engine number to the VIN (here's hoping it hasnt had a replacement engine !!). Do you think this would be ok for DVLA come registration time with a view to getting an age related plate.

Although I'm half of a mind to just let bureaucracy take it's course and get a 'Q'....

Any advice gratefully received especially if you've registered with similar circumstances.

thanks folks,
Paul

matt_claydon

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Engine age is all that matters for amateur-built bIVA. Just get Mazda to confirm the date and you will get the easy test.

Between 1992 and 1995, some cars had cats and some didn't, depending on when models were updated etc. For amateur builds VOSA keep it simple and assume all cars were non-cat.

pdm

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt
DavidM

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
To get an age related plate you only need two major components from the donor car, assuming you have the V5, and be building using a new chassis "from a manufacturer." The two major components generally include the engine, but do not have to.

David

Proportion is Everything

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.