Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 mini - first proper shakedown
r1_manx

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
R1 mini - first proper shakedown

Hey guys,

At the weekend I decided the time had come for my R1 powered mini to undertake a full on shakedown at the trackday circuit here on the Isle of Man. I'm really pleased to report that putting a bike engine in the front of my mini wasn't such a stupid idea after all, and we had an absolute blast stretching her legs around the track. Apart from a few minor issues, the mini is everything I dreamt it would be, and to drive it still feels like a mini...just a bloody quick one! With a few more tweaks and some bodywork jobs to sort, she'll be painted up and ready for action by the end of the year hopefully. I need to address a coolant pipe sealing issue, a slight blow in the exhaust, and an oil leak around the sump which is only a trickle. The geometry setup was a bit of a rush job about 11.30pm the night before completing a 14 hour slog on the car to get it ready for the trackday. With the ride heights spot on and it properly corner weighted, she should handle really well. I was really impressed with how light the car feels as on the brakes it just feels so much easier than a standard mini would with it's heavy A series lump in the front.

Anyway, if you want to check out some footage from the shakedown sessions then here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9d3zQsjyg

Cheers, Ben

If im not in action, im in traction!

iank

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

LBMEFM

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds brilliant, mini's are great + good vid's. I thought you could have tested on your roads though. Barry
r1_manx

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have done some testing in the industrial estate outside my garage, but I needed to get up into 6th gear and at max revs to really see what she could do. Once the front end is fitted and it looks a bit more like a complete mini, I can test her out on the road some more.

If im not in action, im in traction!

nick205

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ace

no worries with engine cooling then

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.