Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Midget Project - Just waiting for the torch and pitch fork brigade to turn up...
StevieB

posted on 8/9/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
My Midget Project - Just waiting for the torch and pitch fork brigade to turn up...

I've just joined the MG Owners forum and posted my introduction and outline of my current project - converting a mk1 midget to coilover's front and rear, GRP frogeye, bike engine and either 5 link or de dion rear.

I was realy only posting as I have every part of the car (just about) to put it back together as an original (but I don't have the time, money or inclination to do so). I'm looking to shift all of the parts and get as much money back as possible (paid £500, got £375 back so far from selling seats, screen and steering wheel alone!).

I'm now waiting for the die hards to form a posse and turn up at my house for a good 'ole lynching!

PS - if anyone wants any bodywork for a midget in reasonable condition, they can have it for free if it means I can have some breathing space back!

r1_pete

posted on 8/9/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Did the same when I put the zetec in my MGB, in my opinion it was a much better car done, than with the original B series lump.

So did the buyer

So good luck with your conversion, have you thought about a duratec, might be easier than bec with the offset prop, and the engine bay squeeze.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 8/9/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec does appeal, but the cost of good performance doesn't.

I've seen an R1 install in a midget before and the weight shouldn't be a problem - I've been speaking with a guy who's running a race car at 460kg with a 1275 under the bonnet.

rpm

posted on 8/9/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
when i took the spit to a classic show a few weeks ago some other triumph owners got very sniffy about the mods, having said that most people were complimentry and the organiser of the local triumph sport six club loved it.

expert
ex= a has been
spurt= a drip under pressure

StevieB

posted on 8/9/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of people get a bit funny about me doing what I'm doing, especially to a mk1.

However, they don't seem to want to stump up a cheque for half of the cost of an original re-furb when asked . My project isn't a western democracy where you have an automatic right to a vote - you have to buy your way to opinion!

The main problem I had with an original restoration was that (apart from the 1098 will be sloooooooooooooooooow) when it comes time to sell, beardy MG bloke will turn his nose up because the loom isn't using original pattern binding or it runs through a different place etc. I couldn't be bothered with any of that.

Puzzled

posted on 8/9/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
miget

Best of luck with your conversion.I"m big into MGs,and have built a JBA Falcon.A guy down the road from me has a TD. When he saw me building the JBA (which is not unlike a TD) "wouldnt give it garage space" was his response!!!.I"m the one smiling now as I"ve all the conveniences of modern day motoring with the Retro Look!!.I am doing up a 1960 MGA at the moment.Putting in a B engine with a Sierra 5 speed box, upgraded everything and I could"nt care less what the Purists say.
At least I"ll give them something to talk about!!!!

pdm

posted on 8/9/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Are you still wanting the MX5 subframe ?

I've got the body work off now but I need to spend the weekend chopping it up to weigh it in.

having said that I've got most of the bolts on the rear loosened already so I'm not too far off now.....maybe next week/weekend.

Richard Quinn

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the club! 20 years ago I had a '72 B Roadster with Sebring arches, perspex headlamp covers (so far, so good), Alleycat alloys and a supercharged V8! However, the thing that caused the most nose wrinkling and frowning was that it had a honeycomb grill which, apparently, was a '73 on grill! Saddos!
StevieB

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
They've been quite good about my project so far.

I am obviously expecting some comment on a bike engine being too weak etc for the application.

austin man

posted on 8/9/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
the purist didn't like my Austin A35 either , I placed disc brakes on a servo from a Metro Seats from a Fiesta clocks from a midget, cylinder head from a metro surbo 1 1/2" SU straight through exhaust, rostyle wheels oh and I painted it Bright yellow. I did bare metal it at a later date and paint it blue as in my avtar

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.