Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what amp wire do i need?
omega0684

posted on 18/9/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
what amp wire do i need?

how do i know what amp wire to use on the electrical items on my car?

for instance,

The Fan, all it says on it is 12v DC, how do i know what amp wire to use, i would hazard a guess at 5,8 or 13 ?????

The Alternator,

I am using the Denso style alternator, again it requires a 12v supply, how do i know what amp wire to use, 5, 8 or 13 amp or different?

thanks again

Alex

[Edited on 18/9/10 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 18/9/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody who has built looms more recently will be along soon but my thoughts are that both of them items are high current and more than 13A.

Fans draw large currents to start then drop off. Alternator pull alot but does depend on if you are running heaters, wipers or anything else.

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MakeEverything

posted on 18/9/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Somebody who has built looms more recently will be along soon but my thoughts are that both of them items are high current and more than 13A.

Fans draw large currents to start then drop off. Alternator pull alot but does depend on if you are running heaters, wipers or anything else.

HTH

Alternators dont "Pull" anything?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

chris mason

posted on 18/9/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I guess your talking about the Exciter wire for the alternator? if so then you'd get away with 1mm thin wall automotive cable for that (16amp)

For the fan again you'd get away with 1mm thinwall, but if you ever upgrade your fan to one of the high power facet fans, you'd be better of with 2mm automotive thinwall (25amps)

So if you want to be uber safe then get some 2mm from vwp or the like.

Chris

ian86

posted on 18/9/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
sometimes a google search of part numbers can identify a datasheet giving you current information. failing that i used a multimeter to measure the current.
wire the meter in series with the fan and used a battery or jump starter for power, a mx5 fan drew 5.5 Amps. I did not notice a high start up current but this may be the meter (Digital) being slow to show the reading. Remember to only do this for a few seconds as some multimeters don't like extended periods in current mode.

ReMan

posted on 18/9/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
This might give you an idea
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/images/coolingl/14InchSlimlineFan.pdf

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.