Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake judder
blakep82

posted on 20/9/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
brake judder

got a problem on the brakes on my bmw come about recently. steering's getting shakey again, and when i touch the brakes the judder is pretty intense!

when the car slows down though, and i just touch the brakes to come to a nice gentle stop, i can feel the brake pedal move up and down, and this coincides with the speed of the car, seems like it goes up and down with every turn of the wheels.

this was posted a few days ago
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml#
which suggests there is no such thing as warped brake discs, so thats my thoughts out the window. so what could it be? i can't beleive i can feel the pedal move up and down, something would have to be REALLY out of shape for that!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichieHall

posted on 21/9/10 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Real or perceived, I changed the discs on the wife's Alfa the other week for exactly the same symptoms - touch wood she's not felt it since?

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/9/10 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well if you read that article through it'll tell you what exactly it is, how to stop it in the future and also how to remove the build up on the discs.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/9/10 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Although I think once it gets to moving the pedal is going to be quicker to put a few set of discs and pads on anyway. Then read the article on how to stop it in future

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

MakeEverything

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Had it on an old car once, and changing the discs (Under warranty) solved the problem.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

britishtrident

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Don't believe everything you read on the web. There is a whole lot of pee written about brakes disks and brakes in general.

(1) You can get brake vibrations from discs without the disk being warped. This caused by the surface of the discs --- Fords were very prone to this in the 1970s to the extend that Girling made special replacement brake pads with an abrasive top layer to clean up the discs.

(2) Warped discs (and oval brake drums) really do happen, and this is the most common cause.

From your description it sounds like warped disc as being able to sense the pedal going up and down at slow speed is a definite pointer to the disc being physically warped.

BMW use old fashioned fixed opposed piston calipers rather than floating calipers.
With a a warped disk this type of caliper will tend to give a more pronunced kick back through the hydraulic system at slow speed than a floating caliper.

However be aware your description of the symptoms also fit a split ABS ring --- not all ABS faults trigger the ABS warning light.

A visual check on the ABS rings would be easy enough to do when replacing the discs.

[Edited on 21/9/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SeaBass

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
I know on the string of Audis I've had the rear discs don't see enough braking force and can start to cause issues if not attended to... Most often from not getting a thorough workout they can build up material from the pads.

It sounds strange but I've also had an issue with worn front wishbone bushes causing brake judder. Check those out while your under there.

Also (as you probably know) it's essential to ensure that the mating surfaces behind the disc are as clean as possible to ensure the runout is within limits. You'd probably notice this from the start however.

[Edited on 21/9/10 by SeaBass]

britishtrident

posted on 21/9/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I know on the string of Audis I've had the rear discs don't see enough braking force and can start to cause issues if not attended to... Most often from not getting a thorough workout they can build up material from the pads.

It sounds strange but I've also had an issue with worn front wishbone bushes causing brake judder. Check those out while your under there.

Also (as you probably know) it's essential to ensure that the mating surfaces behind the disc are as clean as possible to ensure the runout is within limits. You'd probably notice this from the start however.

Yeah worn suspension bushes can magnify brake vibrations -- again this was a problem Ford suffered in the 1970s with the later Capris, but it worn bushes won't cause a kick back through the brake pedal.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeR

posted on 21/9/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
One thing - don't skim the disks, just buy new.

I had a skoda once (don't laught) and the disks vibrated from when i bought it second hand. Took it back, they skimmed up the disks and within 50 to 100 miles it was warped again. New set of disks cured the problem.

SeaBass

posted on 21/9/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Check those out while your under there.

Yeah worn suspension bushes can magnify brake vibrations

Worth checking though eh?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.