Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crash.... Bang.... Help Please
VinceGledhill

posted on 9/6/04 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Crash.... Bang.... Help Please

Hi People.

I've got a problem with the computer and wondered if you kind souls could help me out.

It keeps crashing with no apparent reason. When I say crashing it just goes black as if I've pulled the plug out and then it works again. It then goes through the whole disk checking routine etc.... and it seems to be getting worse

It's driving me nuts, I've just lost two hours work.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

ChrisW

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Purely off the top of my head - could it be a heat related problem? Try running it 'case open' and pointing a fan in it as a temporary solution. If that helps I'd advise checking all the internal fans are working and not clogged up with fluff. If you've added new hardware recently you may need more fans to keep it all cool.

Other thing that would cause such a dramatic crash would be the PSU. Again, check the fan (might be the overheating protection) and swap it out if in doubt. They're cheap enough (~£10) if you havn't got a spare.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simonH

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like you have sasser worm !!! have a look here for more info

http://www.spyany.com/program/article_wm_rm_Sasser.html

About Sasser.Worm

Remove this worm viurs using McAfee Virus Scan 2004!

Sasser is a worm virus that spread itself by exploiting the LSASS vulnerability described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. Sasser.A restarts Windows XP/2000 computers when it attempts to affect this computer by exploiting the LSASS vulnerability. When this action is carried out, Sasser.A displays the following message on screen:

How to Remove Sasser.Worm?

Follow these steps to remove the Sasser.worm.

Disconnect your computer from the local area network or Internet.
Click Start > Run, type:
shutdown -i

and press Enter.
In the Remote Shutdown Dialog that opens, change 20 seconds to:
and click OK.

Reconnect the network/Internet connection, click Start > Windows Update to install all necessary patches automatically.

Terminate the running process.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open Windows Task Manager, then select the Processes tab. Scroll down the list and search for the following processes:
avserve.exe
avserve2.exe
skynetave.exe
any process with a name consisting of four or five digits, followed by _up.exe (eg 64354_up.exe).
If you find any such process, click it, and then click End Process. Exit the Task Manager

Disable System Restore (Windows XP)

Remove the registry entires.
Click Start > Run, type 'regedit' and click Ok.

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the following entries:

"avserve.exe"="%Windir%\avserve.exe"
"avserve2.exe"="%Windir%\avserve2.exe"
"skynetave.exe"= "%Windows%\skynetave.exe"

Close the Registry Editor.

Search for and delete the following files:

avserve.exe
avserve2.exe
skynetave.exe

Update your antivirus tools virus definition and run a thorough scan on your system.

britishtrident

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Check the fans are running (not unkown for them to quit after a couple of houurs running) and all the plug connector are in fully home -- also check the heat sink is in full contact with the surface of the cpu.

Failing that if you have xp it is likely to be the sasser worm(s) Symantec have a removal tool for free down load.

Another possible cause is a bad chunk of memory.

VinceGledhill

posted on 9/6/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Downloaded the repair tool and it seems I'm not infected... oooohhh errrrr missus.

Looks like the fan first.... then if it keeps doing it .... some new memory...

Then.... givemethebighammer

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

richijenkin

posted on 9/6/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
.....then install XP

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 9/6/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
My laptop has been running a bit hot for a while and started crashing while i was using CAD packages, which was really annoying. I took the cover off the fan and blew the dust out, there were some huge chunks of fluff and now runs alot cooler.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

VinceGledhill

posted on 15/6/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I still don't know what is causing the problem. I'll have to try the above. It's done it today again and I've lost an hours worth of work.

I've got XP installed.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

white130d

posted on 15/6/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Spy Ware

Have you checked for any spy ware that may have been placed on your computer. Download Spybot and run a check. I used to have all kinds of problems with my laptop shutting down and running slow, found I had over 132 "unwanted" programs running in the background.

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

James

posted on 17/6/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Vince,

Atleast in the meantime save everything every 10 minutes or so- then you'll only lose that much.

If you're using Microsoft office there's an autosave feature you can set to a desired time frame. ie. autosave every five minutes or so.

HTH,

James

VinceGledhill

posted on 18/6/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using office and when working I've saved the work. Then pressed CTRL S every few minutes.

Crash bang.... go back to the document.... most of it gone.... One totally cheesed off guy.:-(

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Peteff

posted on 18/6/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Then.... givemethebighammer

Do you think he'll be able to fix it for you then?. We had a problem with the wifes Athlon 1ghz machine shutting down just recently. I looked in the bios and it was set to shut down at 70* so I raised it to 90* and set it to alarm at 80* so we would know when it gets hot but the alarm hasn't gone off and it's been o.k. since. It was something that was like it when we bought it and it never got changed till it caused a problem.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Noodle

posted on 18/6/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 1.4GHz Athlon with mobo and various other bits including a case from Scan. That would just die and re-boot for no apparent reason.

To cut a WHOLE load of waffle short, the 'AMD Approved' power supply was insufficient to power it. I bought a meatier on and Bob's your mum's live in lover.

It would sometimes stay up for an hour, other times it would reset halfway through booting 2000. There was no rhyme-nor-reason as I saw it at the time.

Worth a try as a PSU's only £30 or so. Now it only dies when 2000 does the BSOD.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

pbura

posted on 18/6/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Neil's comments just rang off a big gong. I have had PCs with fading power supplies behave exactly like this.

Definitely worth a stab.

Pete

Pete

VinceGledhill

posted on 21/6/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll go out and get a new power supply on the strength of what you've said. Brilliant.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Spyderman

posted on 27/6/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Vince did you resolve your problem?

I have been having problems similar, but much more frequent with my brand new system.
Sometimes it will work for 30 minutes or more and others will reset as soon as started.

Had similar problems with old machine until it was corrupting all the data including OS, which is why I bought new one.
Now I don't have one reliable computer at all and if I had any hair would be pulling it out!

I tried the spyware detectors, but they seemed to spark a reset.
I have reformatted and reinstalled the OS that often now I know the serial number by heart!

Terry

Spyderman

pbura

posted on 28/6/04 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Terry,

It being a new machine, I suggest re-seating your memory, making sure your processor is lavishly greased, and checking all motherboard connections.

Also found this thread with several good suggestions. This guy's problem was a bad HD cable:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=330360

Pete

Pete

Staple balls

posted on 28/6/04 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
have you got a virus scanner installed and your windows up to date? it sounds like it could be blaster or suchlike.

if it's not a virus, it's the heat.

VinceGledhill

posted on 28/6/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I ordered it last week but it still hasn't arrived.

I will put it in and let you know as soon as it arrives. Thanks again all who replied.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Spyderman

posted on 9/7/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Terry,

It being a new machine, I suggest re-seating your memory, making sure your processor is lavishly greased, and checking all motherboard connections.

Also found this thread with several good suggestions. This guy's problem was a bad HD cable:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=330360

Pete

I reseated the memory, no change.
Swapped graphics cards, no change.
Changed HD cable, no change.
All other connections checked, no change.

PSU is a 550W so should be man enough!
Have Norton on and up to date.

It has run for the past few days with little inturuption and I was thinking I was over it. No such luck!
During the stable period I found I had not updated to windows SP1 and as soon as updating the problems start again. Ironic eh?

I don't know whether to get the rest of the security updates or not now!

Why on earth did I ever sell my old faithful BBC Model B?
Ah the good old days!

Terry

Spyderman

pbura

posted on 9/7/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Damn! That must be frustrating.

Seeing as this is the second computer with a problem, could it be your electrical wiring? A staticky cat?

Maybe you could try disabling your power management and temperature sensor stuff in BIOS.

Friggin' computers!!

Pete

VinceGledhill

posted on 9/7/04 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I started to post a reply to this thread lastnight.... crash bang.... gone.... bo***cks. Never got it finished....

Well here we are....
Changed the power supply.

No good..... Still the same.... crash bang...

Spoke to a friend who installs computers into doctors surgeries...

He thought that it could be the Vid card... and lent me one... Couldn't get it to boot with his PCI card...

So went to the "shop" and bought another graphics card.... another 40 quid.... tried to insall the drivers from the CD... not compatable with winxp... went on the net... downloaded 22meg......... 22 meg for a driver?????????????

Anyway... installed it.... run OK...... then re-booted because it needed to insatall the driver....

Then re-booted....... opened up photoshop.... OK.... great guns..... then openned up the work...... great.... cut... paste... cut.... paste....F00*IN.... BANG.....

off again.

TIS now going in the bin..... all of it.... I'm totally fed up with the lot....

Motherboard. Memory, HDD, CPU, Vid Card.

New Intel P4 stuff ordered.

See you all next week. If I can manage to boot up from a floppy and still have the CD drive working that is.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

VinceGledhill

posted on 12/7/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Woho..... Sorted it at last.

It was one of the processors. I removed it on Saturday and it's been fine ever since.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Spyderman

posted on 13/7/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Damn! That must be frustrating.
That is an understatement if ever there was one!

quote:

Seeing as this is the second computer with a problem, could it be your electrical wiring? A staticky cat?
A what? What is a staticky cat?

quote:

Maybe you could try disabling your power management and temperature sensor stuff in BIOS.

Friggin' computers!!

Power management is disabled. How will temp sensors have any effect?

I'm pretty certain it is a software issue, (possibly the USB drivers?) as it is far more severe after Windows SP1 is downloaded.
I'm running again after doing repair with XP disc, but have not installed SP1 yet.
As soon as I do it will become unstable again and I can never get as far as running all the other updates.

I have had the motherboard and memory replaced by the supplier and they have tested the processor. Plus the fact that it was happening to my older puter would indicate that it is software related, as the only things in common were the software and monitor/keyboard. Other things in common are same router, modem and plug socket.

I too am near to throwing the whole thing out the window like Vince. To say it is frustrating is... well, just ask the wife or kids how my temper is these days! The kids have heard me say things I would never say under normal circumstances! Colourful would be more polite!

The worst thing is I am missing this site!

Terry

Spyderman

pbura

posted on 13/7/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
A what? What is a staticky cat?

A cat charged with static electricity, was j/k Was thinking that something in the operating environment (such as the power source) might be the problem.

With the power management and temp sensors, was thinking that you may have had motherboard malfunctions, but as you have replaced, please ignore.

I just took a look at MS Knowledge Base and found this about disabling auto restart so that you can receive error messages that you currently don't receive, get error logs, etc.:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=320299

Hope it helps!

Pete

Pete

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.